Another lowering question.

Suspension Drops, Air Bagging, and all Ground Slamming Modifications.

Another lowering question.

Postby Merritt » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:18 pm

So after throwing the 2" blocks on the rear, the truck sits level now, but it's not low enough. I'm wanting to do a 2/4 drop, and would like some opinions.

1) How crappy will the ride be if I cut coils in the front?

2) If I do cut the coils, how many should I cut for a 2" drop?

3) What shocks do I need to go with in the front and rear? I'm pretty sure the stock shocks won't work, or will they?

Sorry for all the dumb questions, but I'm new to lowering trucks. Everything else I've ever owned was 4x4 and/or lifted. Thanks for the help.
Merritt

Engine Size: 2.4L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1992

Re: Another lowering question.

Postby DroppedMitsu » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:09 am

It will not ride too bad at all if you have some decent drop shocks in the front. I have had both drop coils and cut coils and don't notice a difference at all, in fact the ride may be a tad better with the cut coils. You will want to cut one full coil, maybe a tiny bit more. I'm running belltech nitro active drop shocks and love them.
-Josh-
1987 Mighty Max with 4g63 Turbo swap
1989 Macrocab Mighty Max
DroppedMitsu
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 4g63
What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby Merritt » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:19 am

Thanks man, that's what I was wanting to hear! Shouldn't set me back too much then to lower it some more, couple hundred for the shocks and 40 or so for some bigger drop blocks.
Merritt

Postby pennyman1 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:59 pm

don't frget to cut the bumpstops in half front and rear so you still have some travel front and rear. For shocks, the best I found were tokico shocks - they have a bump stop inside to prevent crushing the shock in a bottom out condition. I had a set on my 1980 for over 20 years until they finally wore out.
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Postby Merritt » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:21 am

Thanks man, I'll probably just remove the rear bumpstops with 4" of drop, I cut them in half for the 2" blocks. I think I'm gonna go with belltech's, a sponsor on another forum I'm on quoted me $230 for front and rear nitro drop 2's and a set of 4" angled blocks. Not too bad considering they will be shipping from CA to NC lol.
Merritt

Return to Suspension / Lowering