N/A 2.6L to 2.6Turbo interchange

N/A 2.6L to 2.6Turbo interchange

Postby gumby » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:39 pm

Gentlemen, first I would like to ask that you please excuse my ignorance of the basic knowledge you all seem to possess. I am a Ford guy, especially the 2.3L turbo variety. I have owned 6 Rangers, 3 of which I turbo swapped(currently DD the most recent), and I also drive an 87 Turbocoupe which I have highly modded for SCCA autoX duties. I am well versed in the interchanges between the N/A 2.3 and the 2.3T, but I am having a heck of a time turning up information for my neighbor who is interested in swappin a Chrysler Conquest motor into his D50 4x4. I am import retarded :oops:

The D50 in question is a beautifully restored example with a 2.6/manual trans and 4wd. As beautiful as the truck is, it is horrendously slow. He mentioned to me an interest in my turbo Fords, and thoughts of turbocharging his D50. We have located a complete, low mile engine/harness/ECU, but before he takes the big step we are looking for information on exactly how involved this swap would be.

Will the major components freely interchange between the two? Motor mounts, flywheel, front engine accessory mounting brackets, etc. This is slated as a stock swap to add some umph to the lil truck, so he is not looking for huge power numbers and is not likely ready for major driveline upgrades to accommodate such. Will his current D50 driveline hold up to stock Starquest power?

I have access to wiring diagrams, and have done quite a bit of repinning and harness swapping, so I dont think that will be a major hang up for us. Im hoping for some reassurance that the mechanicals are easily swapped!
Last edited by gumby on Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
gumby
gumby

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1986

Re: N/A 2.6L to 2.6Turbo interchange

Postby gumby » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:10 am

Thanks for the welcome. I didnt figure I was the first to attempt this swap, but I am struggling my way thru the alpha-numeric tags for the different engine families. Im not used to them, and that is hurting my searching I think :doh:
I would consider the swap that I just completed from dual plug N/A 2.3 to 2.3T in my 93 Ranger a no-brainer as well, so Im hoping this D50 swap will go smoothly.

From what I have gathered so far, these are both g54b motors, correct? Then the truck motor mounts should fit on the Starquest block, and the bell patterns will match.
And assuming they use the same crank pattern(maybe same crank?), then the truck flywheel should bolt right onto the Starquest engine.

You said I would hafta mod the turbo oil pan, what is the issue with using the truck oil pan on the Starquest motor? Pick up location? I have read that the Starquest block has piston squirters that are not in the truck block, so I am gonna assume swapping in a truck oil pump is not a good idea. Not having seen inside the oil pan yet, Im not even sure swapping pumps would help get the truck pan onto the Starquest motor.....thats some of my Ford interchange stuff leaking in... :naughty:

Searching continues...

MaxD50 wrote:1st....let me say welcome to the forum Gumby.

I had a 71 Pinto with a 88 turbo coupe engine, it was one of my earlier toys I did a swap to and wished like hell I never sold. As for your question about installing a Conquest AKA Starion engine in the 4x4...? Yes, it can be done and will not be the 1st time. I did this swap a few times as well...and you will have to do some modifications to the turbo oil pan. The swap is basically a no-brainer, but you will know what to do as you go forward with the swap. I will be glad to help you with questions you may have if you do decide to do the swap.

Mike
gumby
gumby

Postby pennyman1 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:39 pm

The turbo pan has the return line from the turbo and the oil pump and pickup are different also. The issue for you is the front diff being under the motor. The truck oilpan can be used if you remove the return line from the other pan and put it on the truck pan, or just make a tapin to the truck pan. The pickup is another issue, as it will need some modding to match the truck pan. I am doing this same swap, but into a 2wd 1980 d-50, so I have none of these fitment issues.
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Postby gumby » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:27 am

I stumbled across 4x4wire's Turbo Conversion Bible last night! I passed the link to my neighbor, from there he can decide if this project is a go.

Thanks for the help so far guys!
gumby
gumby

Return to Turbo & Blowers