which carb?

which carb?

Postby zipperd50 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:22 pm

ok so i got 3 weber carbs...1 is a 32 36 dgav and 1 is a 32 36 dgv 5a the other is a 32 36 dfav..on the dgav the choke doesnt open all the way like it should and the linkage is backwards for my truck how do i fix that?..on the dfav its missing a few things like the rest of the throttle linkage and its quite dirty and the dgv 5a is dirty as well and missing most parts like springs and throttle linkage..i noticed a few differences but nothing too major...which one would be better for the truck or doesnt it matter which one? is there really a difference that i dont see..they all have an electric chokes on them
zipperd50
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.6L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Re: which carb?

Postby pennyman1 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:53 pm

Its really a matter of preference which one to use. If you go by the Weber manuals, you want the carb bowl forward and the smaller barrel opening closer to the motor. The dgev works that way with the throttle linkage at the back of the carb; the dfav has the linkage at the front. If you have an auto, you need the linkage at the back. other than the linkage position, the carbs are identical and all parts interchange. The bowl facing forward is to prevent surging when stopping while going down steep inclines. I have run both carbs on my 80 d50, and am currently running a dgev spun 180 degrees so the linkage is in the front due to the linkage adaptor I am using; not a lot of difference either way. Just use the one that works best and matches the way your linkage works best for you. I can send you a pic of how mine is mounted, although it is of the older 5 bolt adaptor setup; LMK.
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Postby zipperd50 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:22 pm

yea that might help..my cable runs in the back behind where the old carb was from passanger side to driver side..its a 2.6L 5speed...the dgev was set up for a isuzu truck but the adapter plate was for a jeep and it has the fuel pump on the left side but it looks like it could be moved to the right side because theres just an empty square there but i think if i moved it then everything will be screwed up...the dfav and dgv5a were used on porsches i think im not too sure and they are both missing the end piece of the linkage where the cable goes

if i could i would like to figure out how to use the dgev because its the cleanest and least used out of them..all i have to do is figure out how to connect the throttle cable to it and why the top throttle plates wont open all the way..my bf is going to have a guy drill some more holes in the adapter plate from the jeep so it will fit..we also got a fuel pump and a regulater the pump is 4-7psi and about 35gph
zipperd50
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.6L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Postby pennyman1 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:53 pm

You can use the piece the cable hooks to on the old carb on the weber; not the best, but it will work. There is a universal linkage adaptor that weber makes that you use a clamp bolt to hook the cable to that works well. Be sure to use a throttle return spring to pull the throttle closed. To get the choke to work properly, there are 3 screws on the clamp that holds the choke cover in place - loosen and turn to get the choke to work. This also adjusts how fast the choke opens.
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Return to Fuel & Lubrication Systems