solex/weber 34 dgec swap issues

solex/weber 34 dgec swap issues

Postby dice » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:43 pm

new guy here needing some advice.
i just installed a 34 dgec on my friends little 50 because the stock carb was giving him fits and now it looks like it was a bad investment. it acts like the main jet is clogged although i know it isnt. it will sit and idle just fine, but when the engine is put under any type of load it backfires both through the carb and out the exhaust. ive found that if i set the idle high and just ride the clutch until it takes off without giving it any throttle it will get up to a speed where i can snap it full throttle to open up the secondary and zip off down the road. it gets up to 80 mph pretty quick and cruises right along as long as the secondary is open. ive been through the carb atleist a dozen times trying to locate a clog. ive had every piece of brass out of it and checked every bore in the carb for issues. i did find one issue with what looks to be the primary emulsion tube. its stampped 7755. i was able to get fuel through it but i decided to pull it anyway. i pulled both the primary and secondary sides and when i compaired them i noticed that the primary side is cracked where it meets the top plug. i pulled them with a puller i built at the shop and they came out straight and easy so i am thinking it was shipped this way. and at this point it looks like i should just use this thing as a paper weight and pick up a 38 dges which is a true weber and not a solex imposter.

does anyone know where i could find a parts carb? and where can i find jets for this thing? ive searched everywhere and the closest thing ive found are main jets from solex. i think finding an emulsion tube is going to be next to impossable. sorry for the book. weve been messing wit this truck for almost 3 months trying to get it on the road and hes put over 3000 into it so far. new engine,t case,wheels,tires and lots in between. need to get it done.
dice

Engine Size: 2.6L

Re: solex/weber 34 dgec swap issues

Postby LethalEthan » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:48 pm

you can gets parts and jets directly from weber. I would suggest against the weber 38 unless he doesnt care about gas mileage. I had a 32/36 on my old mightymax that worked nicely.

LethalEthan
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.3L

Postby dice » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:10 pm

LethalEthan wrote:you can gets parts and jets directly from weber. I would suggest against the weber 38 unless he doesnt care about gas mileage. I had a 32/36 on my old mightymax that worked nicely.

im guessing i need to call them. they dont seem to have the parts in their catalog. what a P.I.T.A.!!! hes talking about ordering a different carb. we should have done our research before ordering the first time. ive messed with webers before and when he got this thing i thought something was off.

MaxD50 wrote:It's running too lean, you need to go to a bigger main.

that was my first thought, it has a 130 primary and a 147 secondary so i swapped them and it cleaned up a little but not much. not as much as it should have atleist. i tried soldering the crack in the emulsion tube and it seemed to solder nicely. i went easy on it and it soked up just enough solder to seal it up.i used some emery cloth to even it out. i wish i had a camera to show it off. only it made no difference in the performance issues so i dont know if bragging is the best thing to do right now.

when i had the carb off, i tipped it back and noticed a serious issue. the float bowl likes to dump into the venturi. not a good thing for off roading. we plan to have this thing sitting on the dana 44s from his old cherokee with 33's. it will see lots of trail time. i think it would be best to find a more trail worthy carb at this point.

are there any other carb choices out there/ possably a side draft setup or maybe even a quad mikuni intake build?

id like him to be able to keep up with my samurai. i can stand it on end without any issues. i have a set of suzuki gsxr carbs on it and other than some winter glitches the little 1.3 couldnt produce much more power without coming apart.
dice

Engine Size: 2.6L

Postby 79D50 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:34 am

If you are running offroad and pushing 33's with an I4 then go with the WEBER 38. It is a dual sync carb. It is the most simplistic of the DGES line-Up. You will get much more power and throttle response. Yes, you will experience less than desireable fuel economy but I doubt your buddy is rolling this thing as a DD if it is his trail rig. 32/36 gets better mileage but does not yield much more power as oppossed to the stock mikuni. Either way, the 32/36 or the 38 DGES/DGAS is the way to go. If you ordered that 34 from Weber with a cracked tube then send it back. Was it second hand? It sounds like you got a bum carb from the get go.
79D50
Donator
Donator

Return to Fuel & Lubrication Systems