Not the ECM, possibly fuel pump??

Re: Not the ECM, possibly fuel pump??

Postby kxracer987 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:50 pm

LethalEthan wrote:
kxracer987 wrote:
TurboMax wrote:in-take fuel pump

What? lol, I guess I don't know what that means.

He meant in-tank fuel pump

Yeah, I just realized that, but you beat me to the edit. :doh:
My Money pit-D50, DD-Sonoma, and Baby-Power Wagon
ImageImageImage
kxracer987

Engine Size: 2.4l
What year vehicle do you own?: 1992

Postby trash » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:00 pm

kxracer987 wrote:
trash wrote:funny this thread should come up now, I am just starting to have the same problem... runs fine but SOMETIMES won't start at all but turns over like normal... i was towed to garage where they jiggled a few wires and contacts and truck started right away. They didn't do any further trouble shooting which really pissed me off so i'm kind of just waiting for it to happen again so i can at least try to pinpoint which wires/contacts would be the problem.

Do you know which wires they jiggled?<<That sounds hilarious, but seriously, maybe that will work. :think:

It's frigin retarded, garage in question are actually friends of ours and getting work done with them is getting harder and harder... i love them dearly and i'm ok with free towings to but now i'm starting to feel like i'm costing them money LOL.
ya do the jiggle test first, could save ya some $$ HAHA.. I'm going back tomorrow to try to get more info out of them;)
1991 Ram50 sport, motor 4g64, trans r4ac1, model K15TUESEL3
trash

Engine Size: 2.0
What year vehicle do you own?: 1991

Postby kxracer987 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:34 pm

trash wrote:
kxracer987 wrote:
trash wrote:funny this thread should come up now, I am just starting to have the same problem... runs fine but SOMETIMES won't start at all but turns over like normal... i was towed to garage where they jiggled a few wires and contacts and truck started right away. They didn't do any further trouble shooting which really pissed me off so i'm kind of just waiting for it to happen again so i can at least try to pinpoint which wires/contacts would be the problem.

Do you know which wires they jiggled?<<That sounds hilarious, but seriously, maybe that will work. :think:

It's frigin retarded, garage in question are actually friends of ours and getting work done with them is getting harder and harder... i love them dearly and i'm ok with free towings to but now i'm starting to feel like i'm costing them money LOL.
ya do the jiggle test first, could save ya some $$ HAHA.. I'm going back tomorrow to try to get more info out of them;)

Cool, let me know what they say. I can deffinatley see the possibility of something getting knocked loose or shorted out the way it was beat on in mud. It actually stalled once when I made it to the other side of the 'pit' because so much mud/water got in the intake. I'm probably lucky it didn't hydro-lock right then. If water got in those wires, it could short it out somewhere along the line. I hadn't driven it in any mud/water for atleast 1 1/2 months though. :think:
ImageImageImage
kxracer987

Postby trash » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:51 am

Sorry, couldn't get a hold of them today so i'll try tomorrow.. so far I have not had the problem again.
I did jiggle all the wires and connections I could see while it was running with no problem at all. My truck as far as I know has never done any real off roading so for me i am sure it's not water related... I even decided not to do an engine shampoo lol, instead i went in with a spray bottle of degreaser and rags!
trash

Postby kxracer987 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:35 pm

trash wrote:Sorry, couldn't get a hold of them today so i'll try tomorrow.. so far I have not had the problem again.
I did jiggle all the wires and connections I could see while it was running with no problem at all. My truck as far as I know has never done any real off roading so for me i am sure it's not water related... I even decided not to do an engine shampoo lol, instead i went in with a spray bottle of degreaser and rags!

Thank you for trying, keep me up to date. :D

The little wire that runs by the ecm needs to be grounded to one of the screws right? I'm just trying to think of anything I could have done wrong with the ecm.

On a side note, I couldn't get it to start on starter fluid today :o . Now I'm really starting to think it could be the crank position sensor. Still though, if the fuel pump is running, I can't see not being able to hear it, but I guess it's possible. One of my dads friends/coworkers dad owns a shop, so we are going to drop it off this weekend and they are going to look at it on monday for us. :handgestures-thumbup:
ImageImageImage
kxracer987

Postby kxracer987 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:10 am

UPDATE: It was the crank position sensor, lol. But the distributor is also shot. Waiting 4-11 days to get my distributor off of ebay. Can't wait to have this thing running again. :D
ImageImageImage
kxracer987

Postby trash » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:38 pm

Glad you got it figured out:)
i still have not had the problem again and I even bit the bullet and did an engine shampoo!
trash

Postby TurboMax » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:33 pm

trash wrote:Glad you got it figured out:)
i still have not had the problem again and I even bit the bullet and did an engine shampoo!

Your CAS maybe on the way out. Mine was intermittent for a couple of months before it totally went out.
TurboMax

Engine Size: 2.6T

Postby trash » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:11 pm

Something is up for sure but so far nobody can figure it out.. runs smooth as silk when it's warmed up but cold, it sputters and stutters till it gets moving... Whats a CAS? buddy thinks it might be a coolant switch but hasn't had time to check it out.
trash

Previous

Return to Fuel & Lubrication Systems