Not the ECM, possibly fuel pump??

Re: Not the ECM, possibly fuel pump??

Postby TurboMax » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:40 pm

kxracer987 wrote:Alright, WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. I tested it, and it came up normal. :cry: Atleast I think it did, a bunch of short sweeps, held it till I hit like 17, all the same, and all really short. There is no way a fuel filter would clog when it sat for no more than 5 minutes. What else could it be??

If you disconnected the battery the codes will be erased. The truck has to run to trigger a code again. I believe the ecu will have constant short sweeps till the o2 sensor heats up, then there should be constant voltage.
TurboMax

Engine Size: 2.6T

Postby kxracer987 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:53 pm

TurboMax wrote:
kxracer987 wrote:Alright, WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. I tested it, and it came up normal. :cry: Atleast I think it did, a bunch of short sweeps, held it till I hit like 17, all the same, and all really short. There is no way a fuel filter would clog when it sat for no more than 5 minutes. What else could it be??

If you disconnected the battery the codes will be erased. The truck has to run to trigger a code again. I believe the ecu will have constant short sweeps till the o2 sensor heats up, then there should be constant voltage.

So trying to start it won't make them pop up? Then how is it possible to get a code if the truck won't start. It wouldn't pop up a code when it didn't start at my friends house in the first place then, right? :(
My Money pit-D50, DD-Sonoma, and Baby-Power Wagon
ImageImageImage
kxracer987

Engine Size: 2.4l
What year vehicle do you own?: 1992

Postby TurboMax » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:44 pm

kxracer987 wrote:So trying to start it won't make them pop up? Then how is it possible to get a code if the truck won't start. It wouldn't pop up a code when it didn't start at my friends house in the first place then, right? :(

correct.

In the future, put a led and switch on the diag. ports. Next time something happens push the switch and the led will start flashing any codes.

Try hardwiring your fuel pump straight to the battery. You can access the connector through a panel by the rear driverside tire. Pull the tire, remove the panel in the fender well and you should see some wires. It takes some doing getting the connector loose, but I was able to disconnect mine. Hardwire it to battery (I also used a switch w/ fuse) and then try starting it.
TurboMax

Postby kxracer987 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:10 pm

TurboMax wrote:
kxracer987 wrote:So trying to start it won't make them pop up? Then how is it possible to get a code if the truck won't start. It wouldn't pop up a code when it didn't start at my friends house in the first place then, right? :(

correct.

In the future, put a led and switch on the diag. ports. Next time something happens push the switch and the led will start flashing any codes.

Try hardwiring your fuel pump straight to the battery. You can access the connector through a panel by the rear driverside tire. Pull the tire, remove the panel in the fender well and you should see some wires. It takes some doing getting the connector loose, but I was able to disconnect mine. Hardwire it to battery (I also used a switch w/ fuse) and then try starting it.

K, thanks. I will try that, but it may take me a few days. What is the point of it throwing codes if it doesn't throw them when you need them? Half those codes would cause a vehicle not to start, which in turn wouldn't show up as a code. Therfore, there is no reason for that code to be their.?! Oh well, can you guys hear your fuel pumps kick on when the key is engaged, or are they to quiet? If we got it to stay running after we sprayed starter fluid, although poorly, wouldn't that mean the fuel pump was working? :think: Even if it was only working a little, it would atleast try to start when cranking it over, but the fact that it kept running means it was working. This thing is giving me a headache, lol.
ImageImageImage
kxracer987

Postby kxracer987 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:59 pm

Hi again guys, still haven't gotten around to checking the fuel pump. Hopefully tomorrow I can do it. I just went out and tried to start it, and I realized I couldn't here that relay kick on when I turned the key part way on. That relay should supply power to prime the fuel pump right? Can anyone lean there head down there and turn there key partially on and tell me if they can here that relay click on? Thanks.

EDIT:NVM, it does click, it just took 2 people to hear it. It is deffinatly the fuel pump. I crawled under it and had someone turn the key on and there wasn't a sound. I will still run direct power to it to make sure, but I'm pretty sure that is what it is. Is the fuel pump in the tank on these, or is it frame mounted. I saw something under there, but wasn't sure if it was the fuel pump or not.
ImageImageImage
kxracer987

Postby TurboMax » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:11 pm

in-take fuel pump
TurboMax

Postby trash » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:19 pm

funny this thread should come up now, I am just starting to have the same problem... runs fine but SOMETIMES won't start at all but turns over like normal... i was towed to garage where they jiggled a few wires and contacts and truck started right away. They didn't do any further trouble shooting which really pissed me off so i'm kind of just waiting for it to happen again so i can at least try to pinpoint which wires/contacts would be the problem.
1991 Ram50 sport, motor 4g64, trans r4ac1, model K15TUESEL3
trash

Engine Size: 2.0
What year vehicle do you own?: 1991

Postby kxracer987 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:39 pm

TurboMax wrote:in-take fuel pump

What? lol, I guess I don't know what that means.
ImageImageImage
kxracer987

Postby kxracer987 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:40 pm

trash wrote:funny this thread should come up now, I am just starting to have the same problem... runs fine but SOMETIMES won't start at all but turns over like normal... i was towed to garage where they jiggled a few wires and contacts and truck started right away. They didn't do any further trouble shooting which really pissed me off so i'm kind of just waiting for it to happen again so i can at least try to pinpoint which wires/contacts would be the problem.

Do you know which wires they jiggled?<<That sounds hilarious, but seriously, maybe that will work. :think:
ImageImageImage
kxracer987

Postby LethalEthan » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:43 pm

kxracer987 wrote:
TurboMax wrote:in-take fuel pump

What? lol, I guess I don't know what that means.

He meant in-tank fuel pump

LethalEthan
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.3L

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel & Lubrication Systems