REPLACING THE OIL PUMP ON A 2.6

REPLACING THE OIL PUMP ON A 2.6

Postby 80D50SPORT » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:51 pm

SO I BOUGHT A 88 DODGE RAIDER THE NEEDED A MOTOR AND I ALREADY HAD A SPARE GOOD MOTOR SO I FIGURE I'D STICK A OIL PUMP IN IT AND AND REPLACE THE BALANCE SHAFT CHAIN AND GUIDES ... I BOUGHT THE FACTORY DODGE MANUAL AND IT'S PRETTY VAUGE IN IT'S DESRPCITION OF BALANCE SHAFT TIMING AND HOW TO MAKING SURE EVERYTHING IS STILL IN TIME AFTER REPLACEMENT..ALSO THE OIL CAME WITH A SHEET THAT SAYS" INCORRECT BALANCE SHAFT TIMING WILL CAUSE FAILURE OF THE BALANCE SHAFT BEARINGS,OIL PUMP,AND ENGINE" WTF? THE 4G63'S IN THE ECLIPSES WILL RUN WITH THE BALANCE SHAFTS OUT OF PHASE BUT JUST VIBRATE LIKE HELL... ALSO I KNOW HOW TO CHECK THEM ..BUT CANT FIND OR SEE ANYTHING REFERING HOW TO CHECK IN THE G54B'S ...ALSO I'VE HEARD THAT THE HEAD BOLTS ARE YEILD TO TORQUE BUT THE FACTORY MANUAL MAKES REFERENCES TO LOOSING THEM IN CASE THE WASHER ON THE ONE NEAR THE FUEL PUMP INTERFERES WITH THE FUEL PUMP ROD AND RETIGHTING THEM AND ALSO RETIGHTING THEM EVERY TIME THE VALVES ARE ADJUSTED .... BUT MAKES NO REFERENCE TO REPLACE THE HEAD BOLTS? WHAT GIVES ?
80D50SPORT

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1980

Re: REPLACING THE OIL PUMP ON A 2.6

Postby MightyG54BTMax » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:13 pm

Its all about the plated links on the chain and the timing marks on the gears.

http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php? ... c&start=50

If that doesnt open up on page 3, skip to page 3. page 1 is timing chain, page 2 is balance shaft elimination, page 3 is keeping the balance shaft.

As far as the head bolts, ive heard both views of them. Don't reuse them, its ok to reuse them. The bolts are said to stretch under the strain. I reused mine once and blew the head gasket again, switched to ARP bolts which are reusable as per ARP.
MightyG54BTMax
VIP
VIP

What year vehicle do you own?: 1988

Postby dmr8x2 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:14 am

there is a balance shaft elimination kit
can be found at most machine shops
dmr8x2
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.4
What year vehicle do you own?: 1992

Postby MightyMax » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:05 pm

i completely rebuilt a 4g63 and couldnt find anything referring to replacement of head bolts, and new ones werent available anywhere. so just used old ones.. head gasket blows a year later... replaced head gasket, used same bolts... 2 years later blows another head gasket. lol so id say replace the head blots
the starting line-up
MightyMax
VIP
VIP

What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Postby niftyd50881 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:27 pm

is that one long question or a bunch of questions in that wall of words down there :/
there is a bolt on the side of the 2.6(near the backdrivers side) that you remove and insert something to lock the balance shaft to properly retime the motor.
niftyd50881

Engine Size: 2.6l

Return to Fuel & Lubrication Systems