Migration of Data (test)

Migration of Data (test)

Postby 79D50 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:29 am

79D5004-01-2009, 04:27 PM
I committed myself this afternoon to calling several manufactures and some local shops to get some header infromation for my application. I have a built 2.6 as most of you well know. With my head work and CAM my TQ will begin building at 1200 RPM and be fairly balanced to 4700-5000 RPM with max HP reached at approximately 5200-5500 RPM. Redline or what I call "Floating the Valveline" will be around 6500K+.

With that said I started making some calls. All of the local shops said the same thing. "Pacesetters are junk!" They have shitty welds, they don't de-bur the tubes, they leak like a sieve after time due to warping around the collector and the thin material they use during construction. Power from these "long tube" headers are only extracted at high RPM's. So in a nutshell, you have to be revving the snot out of your motor in every gear to feel the benefits of these headers. There isn't enough scaveging effect which is a recirculation effect or balance of escaping exhaust gases.

Read this article to scramble your brain: http://www.zdriver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17672

I called Doug Thorley and several other performance shops and got the same response here. Tri-Y is a better design for low end torque and midrange HP. 4 out of 5 shops that I called said Doug Thorleys are the only header they will sell outside of thier own FAB work. There was a lot more discussion that took place, but I want to get the point across and not bore you to death.

Doug Thorleys or any TRI-Y design = good design and good power
Pacesetter = bad design and minimal power gains if any (application specific)

I though about this some more and was reminded of my own mantra..."You get what you pay for."

Pacesetters are $170 - $200 depending on the site
Doug Thorleys are $620 - $800 depending on the site

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR....I will be purchasing a Doug Thorley Header and I will have it Jet Coated. This means my brand new, never used, silica 1300 degree painted Pacesetter is for sale with gasket and collector. It is still a decent part but not suited for my application. Any takers -- ??? I'll take $150 for it plus shipping..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

79D5004-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Gentleman...I just had a great conversation with Doug Thorley again. They have 6 Headers left for the 2.6 - 1979 to 1988 (evenly spaced ports). They are going to be discontinuing production for these trucks on a bench stock basis. They will only build these on a limited basis after the 6 are gone (based on demand).

These are brand new authentic DT Headers with all of the hardware to mount included. They are finished in chrome.

Retail = $437 + as high as $600 +
Dealer = $307
My wholesale price = $215 straight from DT in Southern California.

(these numbers provided by DT)

I asked DT's permission to advertise this price to get them off their shelves and they said that I could do so on this forum. They said put together a group buy and we can get them a bit lower than $215.

So let's hear it fella's. Who wants a kick ass header set-up for a ridiculously low price? Warme / Vannoy.....this is your chance to stock the shelves with a header that is going to be in limited supply in the near future....Let me know.

I get nothing out of this as I just purchased mine for $215. This is a heads up favor to this community by myself and DT....:good:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

supadupadennis04-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Me

powerram5004-01-2009, 06:44 PM
thats all i paid for mine.

brainiac04-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Timing is perfect for me. I'm trying to get my funding arranged for my rebuild and the DT is precisely what I want. I'll let you know tomorrow if I'm getting one or not. Thanks for your great research.
Rick

79D5004-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Then you got a good deal...From the conversation I had with them today, they are collecting dust and they want them off the shelves.

If you want to purchase a pair, call Doug Thorley direct @ 800.347.8664. Ask to talk to Frank. Him and I spoke and if you say Paul sent you from mightyd50.com you may be able to squeeze them a little more and get a set for around $200. That is a hell of a deal for these headers.

qballD5004-02-2009, 08:03 AM
So Are The DT Headers Shorter by any chance than the Pacesetters?

79D5004-02-2009, 08:43 AM
They are not considered a shorty application as the terminology in the header world is:

"Long Tube" - Longer tubes for fast exiting of exhaust gases. Designed for drag and race cars who are always on the top end making tons of HP. The pacestter for our trucks is designed this way and may or may not be best suited for your application based on your build goals.

"Tri-Y" - Shorter than the long tube design (most apps) and longer than the shorty design. The unique design allows for better flow, more scavenging at the head and better overall response at lowere RPM. This is best suited for low end torque applications with midrange HP.

"Shorty" - built for tight applications and mimics stock look and feel. There are minimal power gains as opposed to the long tubes and tri-y design but still offer some advantage over stock.

If you read that article in my first post you will understand that there is a lot of physics and design behind application specific headers. Some guys might find the pacesetter adequate but the whole point of the article (stated several times) is that you have to consider your end goals and what you are trying to achieve in the HP/TQ department and at what RPM etc etc before you make a decision. Those factors will allow you to then start shopping for headers.

--Paul

79D5004-02-2009, 08:56 AM
I will snap some before and after pictures installed and not installed once I get the shipment. It should give you an idea of how much longer the DT's are as oppossed to the Pacesetter.

It will probably be early next week.

--Paul

Pennyman104-02-2009, 11:41 AM
I'd go for 1 at that price. Had 1 years ago I got from John Baker on a 1985 Ram50 2.6 I had; put the cam and rocker kit in it too. Great runner till I tore the tranny up due to a mechanic who used a screw driver on the outside of the tailshaft seal and all the oil ran out. PM me about the arraingements to buy with this deal.

Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made!

brainiac04-03-2009, 06:52 PM
I just bought a freakin Doug Thorley Tri Y header for $215!!!:yahoo::hunter::diablo::haha: Hahahaha!!!!! Paul, aka 79D50, I owe you big time!!! Thanks a million. My wife's going to think I've lost for real this time cuz I'll be silently snickering and giggling to myself all weekend.
Rick

Pennyman104-07-2009, 09:34 AM
:good:Ordered mine Friday- thanks for the heads-up!!! While talking to Frank at Doug Thorley I mentioned to him about how the Paired port motors (g63b,g64b) needed a header since pacesetter quit making them. His response was that he would mention it to their r+d group and see what it would take; If you need/want a great header, let Frank at Doug Thorley know you want it and they will build it! Hows that for customer service.

Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made!!!

79D5004-08-2009, 08:45 AM
I'm glad you guys took advantage of the price. I just recieved mine yesterday. They look fantastic on the motor. The chrome finish is not show quality as it is designed solely to protect the metal from rust. The nickel will eventally turn black. I highly recommend that you get these Jet Coated/Ceramic Coated before long term use. It explains this all in the warranty and installation instructions. I will snap some before and after pictures soon.

79D5004-08-2009, 10:08 PM
I am thoroughly impressed with the build quality of these headers. The metal is 1/16+ thicker in the body of the tubing and the flange is another 1/16++. The fitment of the flange around the studs is silky smooth compared to the pacesetter. It is a bit longer to the tip of the collector than the pacessetter but overall height is the same. These fit like a glove. The look is much more aggressive in style. I hope they perform as well as advertised. Again, it all boils down to your build goals fella's. I can't wait to fire this thing up for the first time....

The gasket they included is decent but I optioned to stay with my metal felpro instead. They collector slips right on and all the nuts, bolts, washers, ties, and plugs are included. Here are before and after shots, then shots of the headers side by side. Sorry for the lousy pic quality - Had to use the old 3.1MGP.
http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr26 ... 0821-1.jpg

79D5004-08-2009, 10:09 PM
http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr26 ... 0039-1.jpg

http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr26 ... 0041-1.jpg

http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr26 ... 0036-1.jpg

79D5004-08-2009, 10:10 PM
http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr26 ... 0037-1.jpg

79D5004-08-2009, 10:10 PM
http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr26 ... 0033-1.jpg
79D50
Donator
Donator

Re: Migration of Data (test)

Postby 79D50 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:31 am

That clearly did not come across right...Rusty, feel free to delete this post. Perhaps we can create a sub library titled "D50 Migration" and start pulling over some valuable articles and build threads that members (now here at Ram50) have written over the years. The editing capabilities coming across are funky so I just did a copy paste to see what it would look like. Thoughts? Ideas?
79D50
Donator
Donator

Postby RusTy Max » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:01 pm

I can separate each post if that's what your looking for. Or delete all together. I can't access MD50 at all my computer won't allow it, so I can't migrate anymore information.
RusTy Max

Engine Size: 2.4L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1992

Postby 79D50 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:05 pm

I can access the forums and can pull together some articles and threads out of the 1st GEN section. Others here can contribute if they like. Can you build a depository location so we can sort through it all later?
79D50
Donator
Donator

Postby wrngwae » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:27 am

ya all are speaking french to me. but if i can help in any way let me know. i can get in a back way and some how seem to log in but i cannot access all pics,,,,it times me out like i need to register???????? you got me.
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Return to Exhaust Systems.