Exhaust pipe diameter

Exhaust pipe diameter

Postby Ramit » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:42 pm

I have a bone stock 83 Power Ram 50 w/2.0.It's time to replace the Frankenstein exhaust system.Stock pipe dia. is 1.75in.I'm thinking about going to a 2in. or maybe a 2.25in. diameter pipe.No muffler shops in this state will install an exhaust system without a catalytic converter or one that has been hollowed out.My plan is to have the old exhaust removed all the way to the manifold, have a brand new generic converter installed along with a Cherry bomb or turbo muffler, with the larger diameter pipes.Future plans are bigger carb(Weber) along with opening up the head a bit (port n polish,match port the intake and exhaust) and removing the emissions crap.Now then my question is, will there be a problem running the bigger pipes on the stock motor before any upgrades are made? Just how big of diameter pipe should I go with?Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :auto-layrubber:
If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you it's yours to keep.If it doesn't come back, hunt it down..and kill it
Ramit
Donator
Donator

Re: Exhaust pipe diameter

Postby RusTy Max » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:20 pm

Actually what you need to do is talk directly to a manager of a shop like "midas" or "exhaust pro" almost EVERY shop will do an exhaust without a cat, or even with one hollowed out... but it will have to be a 'cash' job and there is NO WARRANTY or receipt! Just FYI! :shhh:
RusTy Max

Engine Size: 2.4L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1992

Postby ram50rocket » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:29 pm

I went with 2", 2.25" is ok if your going to do all those mods but any bigger and you'll start losing low end power.

see mods and exhaust I went with

http://www.cardomain.com/id/ram50rocket
ram50rocket

Postby Spicoli » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:03 am

I rocked 2.5 on my 2.6 I planned on doing it to my 2.4 and 3.0 also very happy with the sound and power
--keRby

LethalEthan wrote: I wish I had 10 exhaust pipes, I bet that shit flows like LL Cool J

Ad Inexplorata
Spicoli
VIP
VIP

Postby 79D50 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:31 pm

I will go with 2.5 from the collector all the way back -- no CAT with a magnaflow muffler into duals. With the MODS I have this is the best size for low end power and good midrange. Without MODS, 2.5 is too big and you will lose TQ.

Update...2.5 to the muffler (inlet) than from the muffler (outlet) down to 2.0 to maintain velocity....
79D50
Donator
Donator

Postby pennyman1 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:09 pm

I went with a 2.25 pipe from the header collector through the high flow cat to a 3 chamber flowmaster to dual 2" pipes out. With the weber carb and a tall air filter it sounds mean and the torque is still good on the low end.
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Postby wrngwae » Fri May 15, 2009 3:24 am

i dont know i used old foundation jacks from an old basement. it think there 2.5 straight pipe with a muffler tip on the end. it sounds fine. but im diesel and turbo so i dont have too much to worry about back pressure. i know i know im a hill billy i get it. :handgestures-thumbup: :text-givemebeer: :techie-pressanykey:
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby Sledgehammer » Mon May 18, 2009 4:29 pm

I just went with a 2.5" full exhaust with cherry bomb glasspack on my 2.6. I like the exhaust but am getting rid of the cherry bomb and going with a magnaflow.

John W.
1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max 4 Wheel Drive
Sledgehammer

Postby POWERRAM50 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:41 am

my power ram 50 has a 1 barrel motorcraft carb, i gained gas milage and power:) i got a 2 inch pipe with a glasspack, and egt blocked off, thank god!
POWERRAM50

Postby capev86 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:14 pm

unless it has forced induction or you spend a lot of time at redline, a big exhaust will hurt bottom end power and throttle response. i would not put bigger than a 2" pipe on a 2.4-2.6 engine and use something smaller on a 2.0. you want efficiency of flow not so much volume of flow.....the restriction should be reduced by going to a high flow converter and muffler that is very efficient. on a turbo engine, the turbo provides the back pressure the engine requires and pressure downstream of the turbo hampers its ability to wind up quickly so you do want to run a big exhaust in that case. i laugh when all those fast and the furious wanna-be's take an n/a 1.6 honda that has no torque to begin with and slap a fat exhaust on it. i could spank that with my bone stock Aries...with an automatic no less! i spent a lot of time on the turbo dodge type forums so I had a clue about tuning even before i got my Ram 50......
capev86

Engine Size: 2.0
What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Return to Exhaust Systems.