Which 2.0?

Which 2.0?

Postby Ramit » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:41 pm

I currently have an 83 Power Ram with the original 2.0. Future plans for a Weber carb,port and polish, match port intake and exhaust,and large diameter exhaust pipe.I have an opportunity to buy a 81Ram 50 with a 2.0 with similar mileage to my 83.Now some questions come to mind.Will the 81 engine bolt directly into the 83 Power Ram? Are the heads interchangeable?Both heads have jet valves.Is either engine better to do the above mentioned mods to.The reason I ask is I could do the mods over time without having to take the ol Dodge off the road while I build the others motor.I could get the 81 model for $275.If the heads are interchangeable, I could have all my head work done and then just swap it over to the other motor.Hope this makes sense, I'm going on way too many hours of work, and not nearly enough hours of sleep.Thanks in advance for any help. :text-thankyouyellow:
If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you it's yours to keep.If it doesn't come back, hunt it down..and kill it
Ramit
Donator
Donator

Re: Which 2.0?

Postby Ramit » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:27 pm

Is there a 2.6 that would bolt right up to my 83 4x4 4speed?
If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you it's yours to keep.If it doesn't come back, hunt it down..and kill it
Ramit
Donator
Donator

Postby Ramit » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:53 am

I have not actually looked to see, but according to the Haynes manual, the 2.0 from years 83-89 have a timing belt.I know it's one of the first things I should have changed 6 months ago when I first got the truck, so don't scold me too bad about it. This truck sat behind a barn for 4 1/2 years and was someones tow behind a camper vehicle before that. I have pretty much gone through everything else, besides the belt, and drive it every day,60 miles, round trip to work and back.If there is a 2.6 that would slide right in place of the 2.0 that would be great!
Ramit
Donator
Donator

Postby Ramit » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:36 am

You say a 4g63 will bolt right up, but isn't that still a 2.0 but without jet valves? I remember reading your posts where you were discussing the dislike of the 4g63's with another member on the other site.I really don't think I want to go that route(4g63).I might consider the whole G54B swap, but from what I have seen around here(Nashville), there doesn't seem to be alot of donor vehicles around here. What about my original post about the G52B and G63B and if they are interchangeable.Could you give me a list of possible donor vehicles that I could get the G54B from other than a Ram 50? There just isn't many of them around here.Maybe a MMM or what about a Mazda 2600 pick up?Thanks for all your help brother. :handgestures-thumbup:
Ramit
Donator
Donator

Postby Spicoli » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:16 am

The mazdawg 2600's are the mitsu g54b from what I remember but if you find a mazdawg 2600i there a complete mazda motor

From what I remember about the g52b is it goes both ways wide and narrow (tho I'm not the g52b expert this is Vannoys area here) and most of them are narrow so with that being said a g52b could swap into your old g63b's spot no problems.

List of donors: starion/conquest, raider/montero, caravan (only 87 I think), hell theres a whole pile of em out there though just do some looking
--keRby

LethalEthan wrote: I wish I had 10 exhaust pipes, I bet that shit flows like LL Cool J

Ad Inexplorata
Spicoli
VIP
VIP

Postby Ramit » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:38 am

Thanks for everybodys help!! I guess it's time to start doing some looking and digging :banana-wrench: :chores-chopwood: :tools-hammerdrill:
Ramit
Donator
Donator

Postby 79D50 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:02 pm

Definitely roll with the 2.6 running gear. They have a lot more torque than the 2.0 and TQ is what gets you down the road. Get the motor from a 1st GEN truck - '79 to '82 (non jet valve heads). Sell your Tranny to someone that likes to work on thier engines a lot (4G63) and buy yourslef a KM132 Tranny - Build the 2.6 / centerforce clutch..on and on....you get the picture....Do it right and you will exceed 200HP...Plus, you are staying original to the trucks and their engine family for 1st GEN's. BTW - '83 is when they switched to belts vs. chains. Drive your truck while you build the 2.6 on a stand. Yank the 2.0 and swap in the built 2.6. Sell the entire 2.0 running gear to another dude and comp back 3-400 Bucks. Don't waste your dough on 2 2.0's.

Between myself, Mike V, Warme and others, we can bury you in performance ideas and take all the money out of your pocket to do it. How far ya wanna go?
79D50
Donator
Donator

Postby Ramit » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:29 am

I'm sorry did you say something? That avatar put me in some kind of trance or something.Seriously though,I know I don't need a 200 hp engine, but I think I would like the extra TQ that the 2.6 would give me.Even mildly built it would probably be like night and day compared to my 2.0. Which vehicle would I find the KM132 tranny in? My truck being a 4x4, would that present any problems with the 2.6 swap?Sorry for asking so many questions, but I'm the kind of guy who likes to have all his ducks in a row, before I start any kind of project.Thanks again for all the advice and help.
Ramit
Donator
Donator

Postby pennyman1 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:57 pm

If you go the Mazdawg route it is only the 87-88 2600i 4x4 models; 90 and up use a Mazda 2.6l that is totally setup reverse of the Mitsu. The G52b will only fit if it is from a 4 speed truck; automatic truck blocks have different bolt pattern (narrow block).
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Return to Head & Block