Bottom End Noise

Bottom End Noise

Postby MiniRam » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:04 pm

Bought my son an 89 Ram 50 with the 2.6 and auto trans and 4wd. The previous owner installed a new head, but I detect bottom end noises. Is this common with these engines? Is there a place I can get a fairly cheap used or rebuilt engine? What engines are easy swaps?

Thx
MiniRam

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Re: Bottom End Noise

Postby raidinator » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:47 pm

well at this point i recommend thinking if you really are hooked on THIS truck I had exactly the same experience as you as far as hearing a knock and all that. having traveled down that road and resolved the issue after a few thousand dollars, I should have gotten rid of the truck and bought a camaro or something. I'm sure that statement will be wildly unpopular but You should think about how big an investment this might become. with that said:

top end performance has real solid rebuilt engines from stock to full race builds, their prices are a bit high but they have a good reputation in the 2.6 engine world. I also would look into doing it yourself, if you can find a good machine shop a full rebuild kit is available for a bout 400 bucks. I built mine in about a day,(being as picky as possible) You also then can claim built not bought status :)

any way good luck man keep us posted
Continuing the endless quest to build my 2.6 liter adventure machine
raidinator

Postby MiniRam » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:59 am

I am hooked on this truck because I just bought it. It didn't sound that bad when I bought it, buty in my driveway it is noisy. There is no "knock". It sounds more like noisy machinery. The noises abates when I unplug #1 plug wire. Checking compression today. Found a 2.6 from a first generation, but the seller says it will not work in my 89. Why is that?
MiniRam

Postby TurboMax » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:58 am

noises could be from the balance shaft timing chain. there is an adjuster if it is loose.

TurboMax

Engine Size: 2.6T

Postby MiniRam » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:14 am

I was thinking tensioner, but would the sound diminish when the plug is disconnected?
MiniRam

Postby MiniRam » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:57 am

TurboMax wrote:noises could be from the balance shaft timing chain. there is an adjuster if it is loose.

Since my truck is carbureted, what electric fuel pump did you use? Did you simply get a fuel tank from a later fule injected truck? What did you do in the way of fuel lines? How hard to wire in computer?
MiniRam

Postby pennyman1 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:55 pm

All 2.6 are carb motors in the trucks - with a mechanical pump. Any 2.6 will fit from any year as long as it is the same as the removed engine ( wide block manual, narrow block auto)
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Postby MiniRam » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:17 am

I meant what fuel pump should I use of I went with a turbo option. However, the link tells all. Don't think I will be able to do that swap as the truck is an auto and has the narrow block. Wouldn't mind doing a 318 or 3.9 swap.
MiniRam

Postby TurboMax » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:01 pm

MiniRam wrote:I meant what fuel pump should I use of I went with a turbo option. However, the link tells all. Don't think I will be able to do that swap as the truck is an auto and has the narrow block. Wouldn't mind doing a 318 or 3.9 swap.

If you plan on converting a carb truck to turbo with fuel injection, the easiest option would be to use an external fuel pump. You could also use a stock Starion/Conquest fuel pump since its an external pump too.

Check out http://www.projectzerog.com/forum/ or http://www.hotrodcoffeeshop.com/since you have a narrow block. You can do a 4g63 swap from an eclipse.
TurboMax

Engine Size: 2.6T

Postby MiniRam » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:45 am

Getting strong blow-by, but my compression checks. Also, the engine knock / chatters at mid RPMs, load or not, but not above or below. This engine has me perplexed.

Will the 3.0 bolt up to the 89 automatic?

Would this engine work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984-Dod ... 27b278ae91
Last edited by MiniRam on Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
MiniRam

Next

Return to Head & Block