3.0 rebuild

3.0 rebuild

Postby DavetheDude » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:44 pm

Anybody out there ever put a timing belt on a 3.0? The book told me to put the crank sprocket on the mark and then line up the cam sprocket marks. In parenthesis it says that when the crank sprocket is lined up, you are at top dead center. That is not the case. I am at least 30 degrees off of TDC. Here is the question. When putting a timing belt on this engine, should it be at top dead center or not? Thanks
DavetheDude
VIP
VIP

Re: 3.0 rebuild

Postby Josh2g » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:56 pm

I am not 100% sure on these trucks but when I did a timing belt on my 95 Mitsu Diamante 3.0L DOHC(same block) the #1 had to be at TDC. So I would assume that the SOHC counterpart would be the same.
Josh2g
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.4L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1991

Postby DavetheDude » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:49 am

I got up early this morning and reset the timing with the engine at TDC. It started right up.
DavetheDude
VIP
VIP

Postby camoit » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:50 pm

All timing is set up at TDC. Always turn the crank 2 compleate revolutions BY HAND before using the starter. This ensures you did not screw up and the valve timing. If ti's off and you hit a valve when turning by hand you can't hurt anything.
Here is my BUILD THREAD.
Live Class 6 off road race truck build. CLICK HERE FOR FEED.

http://www.onsiteconcrete.net
camoit
Admin
Admin

Engine Size: 2.6L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1980

Postby DavetheDude » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:06 am

I always turn it over many times by hand. Either the sprocket is not original or it came from the factory with the mark in the wrong place. I thought maybe I overlooked the right mark for a ding or something, but the mark is definetly wrong.
DavetheDude
VIP
VIP

Postby DavetheDude » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:07 am

After getting everything done the thing started and ran like crap until it decided to not start at all. So I decided to start from the begining and have the computer rebuilt. After getting the computer in it started right up but still does not run well. It will idle smooth at about 2k for 20 sec and then fall down and stumble around 800 for 20 sec and then rev back up to 2k and back and forth until it gets warm. Then it stubbles as it revs and just runs generally crummy. I have converted this thing to 3.0 injected and have replaced wiring harness, engine and trans, gas tank, fuel pump, you get the picture. In looking through the books I realized that the oxygen sensor was missing from the donor truck and so I don't have one hooked into the system. The computer shows no codes and the check engine light is not on. Here is the question. Will no feedback from the ox sensor make this thing do what I am seeing? Will it run without one? Unfortunately the pipe that the sensor screwed into was missing on the donor. Converted a 89 2.6 4x4 into a 91 3.0
DavetheDude
VIP
VIP

Postby DavetheDude » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:43 pm

More info. After it warms up it idles steadily. I checked the coolant temp sensor and it was bad so I'll replace that. I'm sure that is the idling problem. But after it warms up it still will not accelerate very well. Like not enough gas. So I clamped the return fuel line and it smoothed right out and ran good. Is my regulator bad or could it be the fuel pump? It has a new fuel pump in it but I didn't go top of the line. Bought a cheap one.
DavetheDude
VIP
VIP

Postby lush90 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:30 am

What condition are your injectors in? I swapped a Diamante 3.0 into my '91, worked out the bugs but couldn't get smooth acceleration until I had the injectors professionally cleaned (Injector Dr.). The injectors looked perfect and I tried all the injector cleaners in a can stuff but their pre-cleaning test showed 2 were like 45% clogged the other 4 about 25%, after cleaning the truck runs like a top. Hope this helps!
lush90
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 3.0
What year vehicle do you own?: 1990

Postby DavetheDude » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:56 pm

This engine was setting for several years and that sounds logical. I'll try that next. Thanks
DavetheDude
VIP
VIP

Postby DavetheDude » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:39 pm

Got my injectors cleaned and that did the trick. Runs good with good acceleration.
DavetheDude
VIP
VIP

Next

Return to Head & Block