new head old block info please

new head old block info please

Postby saaws2 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:32 pm

I have been talking to some friends around town that says if I put a new head on my old block it will blow the rings, and I will have to redo the block. I have been with out a car of my own for far to long to let this stop me . I am going to put it back together first with out redoing the block just wanted to hear some storys from you guys . Please no links to other post as I really have read just about every thing in this forum, I really enjoy this site . On a side note come on guys lets make this the best D50/mighty max site on the net.
Working on a 89 Sport cab D50 2.6 auto 176000 I think ??? give a take a few 1000 lol
really read some things on the net that makes me scared that I have put all this money in a 400 buck truck but the body is good . look at my pic I have post a few months a go :D
saaws2

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Re: new head old block info please

Postby 92slammedmitsu » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:56 pm

its really according to how much compression the rings have when everything is put back together
92slammedmitsu

Engine Size: 2.4
What year vehicle do you own?: 1991

Postby pennyman1 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:59 pm

It all depends on the condition of the rest of the motor. How do the bores look? Is the motor clean inside or sludged up? Did the head crack from overheating or just the usual cracking between the valves? Also keep in mind that camoit (camoit) has that 2.0 block rebuilt needing a head for 50.00 + shipping. Pull off a rod and main bearing cap and see how the crank looks. It really comes down to how you drive after the head install; drive it normal with a good motor, you'll get many miles without trouble. Beat it and it will fail quickly.
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Postby sassafrass » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:04 pm

what were the symptoms that made you redo the head? what was your compression like before? did oil in the cylinders bring it up? 176k i would suspect it would be needing bearings and rings sooner than later.

that said, redoing the top end is pretty normal. ihave done it on a couple of others and it worked out fine as a dd. if that is your intended use, you will probably be fine...

tom
sassafrass

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Postby sassafrass » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:06 pm

wow, three posts in ten minutes. oh, make that 4
sassafrass

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Postby D50DAVE » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:59 am

It also depends on the head. All new or just the casting. If you didn't pay much, say 400 or so, then odds are the valve train will be reconditioned. Check every square inch to make sure they match exactly. I once bought one that didn't have the oil galley ported to the head bolt from the block. After I put it together and fired it up oil shot everywhere. Valve train was ruined. I was so pissed I got in my car for a 5hr drive to rip his ass in person. (A story for another time). Also make sure that there is a plug in the mechanical oil pressure port. Another thing not done on mine. After all that, do yourself a favor and use the Felpro gasket set. If you don't you'll be sorry. As for the bottom end, it doesn't have to fail just because you freshened up the top end. Drive it with care, and odds are it will be fine.
D50DAVE
VIP
VIP

Postby saaws2 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:22 am

Thanks all you guys for you input . As far as all the stuff you told me too look for I will keep that in mind I am waiting on my webber and time chain set with balance shaft stuff new water pump and head and gaskets are here in the room waiting on the rest of the stuff again thanks will keep you posted on the bld . The block dose not look to be in bad shape or gunked up . we will see . will have about 1100 in it hope its going to be worth it ;-) yeah its going to be a DD I drive like grandma so :-D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
saaws2

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Return to Head & Block