95 mighty max 2.4 lifter noise

95 mighty max 2.4 lifter noise

Postby carl Leach » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:04 am

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum. I'm looking for help with the ongoing lifter noise with the Mitsu engines. Can anyone tell me if I can swap out the cam followers with the hydraulic valves that my truck has for a cam follower from a earlier engine with the mechanical or "adjustable" tip. I have tried everything short of replacing the hydraulic valves. I have removed and cleaned per the Mitsu bulletin, used oil additives, and the rev up and idle fix. All do work with limited success, but do not last. I have checked and confirmed oil level also. The weather is getting colder in my area and this seams to affect the amount of lifter noise that the engine makes. If I have to pull the follower rails agian I want to make sure I solve the problem once and for all, and if I have to spend money on new hydraulic valves that "may" solve my problem I would rather replace with adjustable followers so I can control the amount of valve lash the followers have. I've heard alot of good things about this forum. Thanks for letting me on.
Carl
carl Leach

Engine Size: 2.4
What year vehicle do you own?: 1995

Re: 95 mighty max 2.4 lifter noise

Postby LSR Mike » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:34 am

Yes you Can, I've done it.

P/N's
MD023225 Intake A Qty 2
MD023226 Exhaust C Qty 2
MD04780 Intake B Qty 2
MD040781 Exhaust D Qty 2
MD065628 Screw Qty 8
MD000961 Nut Qty 8

They're from the 1.8L motor

Back in '05 it was $184.27 out the door from the dealer
LSR Mike
#847 F/BMMP
SCTA-BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Bonneville Record Holder
LSR Mike

Engine Size: 2.4L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1992

Postby carl Leach » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:58 pm

I knew I wasn't crazy for thinking this. I have been a ASE tech for many years, but new to the Mitsu world. These engines have been around for a long time and have changed so many times its hard to keep up. Does it matter what years the 1.8 is from? Also what are the Tabs on the most forward followers for? Can it remove them or does it matter if they stay? I guess I will find out once I start the swap. I will look into the followers for the 1.8 today. Thanks for the help.
carl Leach

Postby LSR Mike » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:30 am

The tabs are for the Jet Valves used in the older motors. you can saw /grind them off or just leave them. They do no harm. I believe they're from 87-88, but it doesn't really matter, any 1.8 should do, Mitsubishi uses a lot of common parts among engine families, that's why we can swap head with 2.0's same family
LSR Mike
#847 F/BMMP
SCTA-BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Bonneville Record Holder
LSR Mike

Engine Size: 2.4L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1992

Postby carl Leach » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:49 am

Ok, I've been doing some more diagnostics. I started thinking about how much oil presure it took to keep the hydraulic lash adjustors pumped up. I installed a mechanical oil pressure gage. Cold start up this little engine makes alot of oil pressure 90 PSI. After driving and engine reaching normal operating temp, the oil pressure drops to 65-80 psi while driving. My concern is at idle hot the oil pressure runs around 10 psi. I'm OK with this as far as floating the bearings, but My question is how much pressure does it take to keep the hydraulic lash adjustors pumped up? I don't have much experience with these engines. I do however have experience with american V8 engines. If I had these readings on a V8 engine I would be concerned with bearing clearances. Are thesae pressures normal for this engine? I don't have any lower engine noises, engine runs very good, and has 147000 miles. Can I build up the oil pressure at hot idle by shimming the bypass spring in the oil filter mount without creating more oil pressure cold? I am currently running conventional 10W30 oil.
carl Leach

Return to Head & Block