Dizzy issues again

Dizzy issues again

Postby 77amc » Sun May 16, 2010 12:39 pm

Well, got this clearwater head on, put another weber on it (swapped all the parts from the other one) and it runs TONS better!
I put the cam gear in that was re-drilled 4deg+, put the stock clutch fan/shroud back on and went back with the mech fuel pump (drawing through the electric one, Couldn't find the jack so I could pull it off the frame) Fired up and idled by itself ok.
and since I still haven't hooked up the tach, so I don't know the actual rpms.

BUT, Looking at the D/S side of the motor (2.6) the dizzy rotates clockwise, so rotating the dizzy back toward the radiator is advancing it. At the furthest point, it's at "0"TDC with the timing light on and vacuum line off. On, it's at 14+
It runs better like I said but after driving around a while it got up to 200. TOO high for me. I know that a new motor is gonna run hot for a short while til it breaks in, but really get anxious about it.

So, with all that said, is the 88 2.6 maxs' dizzy controlled by any other sources? I think that I have to pull it and grind out more 'travel' to advance it more but didn't think that only 4deg would throw it off that much. Plus, retarded ignition will over heat too.

Tell me if I'm wrong..
Hook up the timing light,
Start engine,
Pull/plug the vacuum line,
Get it to idle low enough to NOT advance the mechanical weights inside of the dizzy,
turn dizzy until light illuminates TDC 12-15+ (for my cam, Schnieder 274)
Tighten and re-adjust carb accordingly...?

Errol
77amc
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Return to Questions That Don't Fit Anywhere