diesel radiator in a gas truck???

A place to talk all things truck related.
Forum rules
Please look carefully at all the Sub Categories and place your question in the most appropriate Sub Category for faster replies. Thank you and enjoy your time here.

diesel radiator in a gas truck???

Postby Ramit » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:34 pm

All I want to do is buy a new radiator for my 83 Power Ram with a 2.0 in it.Sounds easy enough.My stock radiator that is bolted to the stock location in the truck measures 23 1/2"wide and 14 3/4" tall.That is the core dimensions only. tank to tank,flange to flange.Any parts place shows a much narrower and a little taller radiator is supposed to fit in the truck.NAPA actually shows the exact one that I need, but the 2 that they ordered in are the narrow ones everybody else has that wont fit.I called a radiator shop with the correct dimensions of mine and they said that those dimensions are for the diesel truck.WTF!!So I went back through all of the parts dealers and entered the turbo diesel motor, but nobody stocks that radiator.I F'ed my rad up by pouring in some of that head gasket repair shit in a can into it and stopping it up.The rad shop recommended replacing it because they said that crap in a can sets up like concrete and didnt think they could rod it out.Suggestions?? Anybody??
If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you it's yours to keep.If it doesn't come back, hunt it down..and kill it
Ramit
Donator
Donator

Re: diesel radiator in a gas truck???

Postby mikewarme » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:11 pm

The diesel radiator is the same as the 2.64wd model, with exception of the mounting configuration for a fan shroud. The 2.0 radiator fits a smaller dimension radiator support, as well as the the 2wd 2.6. So the one they are trying to sell you is for a 2nd gen. I know this cause I played that game. Let me help you find one..... Or get yours re-cored. Check this one on ebay 8059781860 <----------auction number
mikewarme

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Postby Ramit » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:25 pm

So are you telling me that I cant get one here locally? I even tried entering the 2.6 and it keeps coming up with the smaller radiator.I talked to a place in Nashville that said they could get me the right one for around $270. Little steep for a rad.I haven't looked into getting mine re-cored...but I guess I will.I really don't want to buy one off Ebay just because of all of the trouble i've had so far.I really dont need more BS with trying to return one bought from there.Anymore suggestions, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEESE let me know.
If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you it's yours to keep.If it doesn't come back, hunt it down..and kill it
Ramit
Donator
Donator

Postby siris » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:40 pm

go to the junk yard n start pickin. many cars have radiators that can be adapted pretty easily, i pulled one out of a 91 plymouth caravan. It looks like it will fit rather well.
siris

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby dmr8x2 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:22 am

i think you have the A/C rad
my 87 2.6 W/A-C has the wide rad
it has been said that the Monteros can be swapped to the trucks
dmr8x2
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.4