any chev experts out there?

A place to talk all things truck related.
Forum rules
Please look carefully at all the Sub Categories and place your question in the most appropriate Sub Category for faster replies. Thank you and enjoy your time here.

any chev experts out there?

Postby leonwold » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:39 pm

hey im finally about to get the 4.3L chev v6/5 speed trans for my d50(given that its not sold already). does anyone know if a 4 barrel intake will bolt onto the fuel injected model? thanks
leonwold

Re: any chev experts out there?

Postby camoit » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:45 pm

this is soon to be my department. First question is it an early model block or the vortech block. Edlebrolk make a manifold that will go on eather type engines. And yes then a carb will bolt right on to the manifold. Early model blocks blocks don't have the counter shaft. and the manifold bolts point at a 90 deg angle to the the head, just like a V8. vortec heads the bolts go straight down. and came with mulit port injection crap. Vortec block also have a plastic timing cover and you are limited on what you can use for internal parts. The early models had TBI injection. Go to my build thread for more information on the engines and changes made. Some things are interchangeable some are not. I used early model block with vortec heads. More flow with out having to do a lot of head work. But then again I'm not holding back on the cost of the build.
Now on the carb size if you keep it stock use a 500CFM carb. If you start to pump it up then you will need to go bigger. I have a 650CFM going onto mine but I have 10:1 compression if under 10:1 then 600CFM with a cam. There are lots of variablies be careful not to over do it on the carb. I have all the information and specs on my build thread under first gen. If you are going to use FI then your cam selection is limited. A gear drive cam will not work with FI. It's to noisey and the ignition will go into full retard. It thinks the engine is knocking.
Here is my BUILD THREAD.
Live Class 6 off road race truck build. CLICK HERE FOR FEED.

http://www.onsiteconcrete.net
camoit
Admin
Admin

Engine Size: 2.6L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1980

Postby leonwold » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:24 am

well thanks guys ya i looked up the edelbrock manifold and it fits 1985-1995 engines. it will probably just stay at 500cfm, this engine wont be too high compression because its going for more of the 4x4 aspect than racecar.
leonwold

Postby camoit » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:49 pm

So I guess you have an early model hu? Did you get a chance to look at my build thread, and the diferance on the heads and blocks?
Here is my BUILD THREAD.

camoit
Admin
Admin

Postby leonwold » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:58 pm

i never got to your thread but i was reading up on 4.3's. heads changed in 96 for multi port and they have better flow. but they started the original vortec heads around 88 didnt they? the tbi ones.
leonwold

Postby camoit » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:29 pm

Here is the diferance between the early and late heads. Besides the way the mainfold bolts down. The red arrow points at a 1/2 inch ramp inside the intake port that would need to be removed to mach the stock Vortec flow. Vortec engines have a plastic timing cover and are multi port. TBI is Non Vortec. If you like I can put you together a very nice street hot 4.3 short block for around $8500.00 with shipping.

Vortec

Non Vortec
Here is my BUILD THREAD.

camoit
Admin
Admin

Postby Merritt » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:32 am

Another option would be using a marine intake. The chevy 4.3 is really popular in the marine/boating community and a marine intake won't give you any extra hp, and it's a lot heavier than the stock aluminum intake, but it will allow you to run a carb.
Merritt

Engine Size: 2.4L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1992

Return to General Talk