Help please. Rearend on blazer tore to hell

A place to talk all things truck related.
Forum rules
Please look carefully at all the Sub Categories and place your question in the most appropriate Sub Category for faster replies. Thank you and enjoy your time here.

Help please. Rearend on blazer tore to hell

Postby In2Deep » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:45 pm

I lowered the blazer 3 inches this weekend. Well last night I went to the gas station and pulling out of the parking lot I heard a sound sorta like something snapped and as the wheels were turning I could hear something knocking. Well the reared locked up and luckily I didn't wreck. Well it stopped making the noise and seemed to be driving fine so I got it back to the house. This morning going to work I made it about a half a mile from my house and heard the same snapping sound so I immediately pulled over and looked at it. Seemed fine so I was gonna try to ease it back to the house. But it wouldn't move. Driveshaft was spinning but not but it wouldn't go anywhere. I figured it tore something up in the reared. So we tried pull in it back to the house. Well the locks that hold the axles in were broke and the axles worked themselves out. One came all the way out. So I got it on a rollback and back to the house. Pulled the cover off the rearend and all kinds of gears and pins and crap fell out. Also noticed it was really low on dope. I'm goin to get a new rearend Thursday and putting it in.

Well my question is, could the pinion angle from the non angled blocks have caused this or was it where the rearend was leaking? They are the same blocks I ran on the max for years and this never happened. I need sone opinions to know if I need to take the blocks off. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
-Mikey-
In2Deep

Re: Help please. Rearend on blazer tore to hell

Postby 4doorciv » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:11 pm

Does this blazer have an LSD system on it? Usually the LSD fails due to incorrect tire sizes or uneven tire pressures. The rear end exploding on the otherhand, something broke and internally. Why, you might have to figure out on your own. Maybe there was debris in there, lack of oil, too much burning out maybe. Never herd of anyone breaking their rear end my lowering it. :think: :?:
-Ryan-
1989 mighty max 4g63 turbo. -down-
1995 Eagle talon tsi awd. -daily-
1992 Honda civic b18c1. -sold-
4doorciv
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 4g63
What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Postby In2Deep » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:00 pm

No idea if it's got LSD. It's just the stock one. And I've never heard of that either. Once I get the old one out, ill take a look at see what I can figure out
-Mikey-
In2Deep

Postby pennyman1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:09 pm

Low oil will kill any rear end - a severe pinion angle will too, but not that fast. The ujoint would break or bind first.
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Postby In2Deep » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:14 pm

I wouldn't put anything bigger than 3inches unless they arent angled. And actually the pinion angle doesn't look like it's off very far. I was figuring it was the lack of oil. Thanks for the help guys
-Mikey-
In2Deep

Postby 4doorciv » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:19 pm

I know when I had my 96 blazer 2wd it had an lsd rear end. Hope you figure it out.
-Ryan-
4doorciv
VIP
VIP

Postby camoit » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:10 pm

It broke the spider gears.
Here is my BUILD THREAD.
Live Class 6 off road race truck build. CLICK HERE FOR FEED.

http://www.onsiteconcrete.net
camoit
Admin
Admin

Engine Size: 2.6L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1980

Postby 4doorciv » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:48 pm

He was wondering why it broke. :p Oh well, updates?
-Ryan-
4doorciv
VIP
VIP

Postby In2Deep » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:42 pm

it locked up from bein low on dope and when it did it broke all the spider gears. im goin to get a new one tomorrow. anyone know what years should have the same rearend. and also i was thinkin maybe gettin one out of a newer blazer with disc brakes. any idea on how different it would be with disc brakes?
-Mikey-
In2Deep

Postby Merritt » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:57 am

In2Deep wrote:it locked up from bein low on dope and when it did it broke all the spider gears. im goin to get a new one tomorrow. anyone know what years should have the same rearend. and also i was thinkin maybe gettin one out of a newer blazer with disc brakes. any idea on how different it would be with disc brakes?

You can use a rear from any blazer, 83-05. Get one with the g80 code if you can, that's the s10/blazer version of the gov-lock rearend. Here's a little how to if you're interested.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f13/drum- ... to-167132/
Merritt

Engine Size: 2.4L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1992

Next

Return to General Talk