6.0 vs. 7.3 Powerstroke

A place to talk all things truck related.
Forum rules
Please look carefully at all the Sub Categories and place your question in the most appropriate Sub Category for faster replies. Thank you and enjoy your time here.

6.0 vs. 7.3 Powerstroke

Postby 4D55 Performance Inc » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:15 pm

Well I need another ride, because my car is too small for my growing family. I am looking at getting a Ford Excursion with the Powerstroke Diesel. I keep hearing that I should stay away from the 6.0 and get the 7.3 motor because it is more reliable and gets better fuel mileage. If you have any experience with the 6.0 or the 7.3 Powerstroke it would be greatly appreciated. And no, I am not interested in getting a Suburban because the are big POS.
4D55 Performance Inc

Engine Size: 4D55
What year vehicle do you own?: 1985

Re: 6.0 vs. 7.3 Powerstroke

Postby Merritt » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:30 am

We have an '04 Suburban 5.3 with 160k on the clock and it hasn't given us a single problem yet. Only complaint is the mileage, even after the tune the best we can get is 15 around town, and about 18 on the highway, but what do you expect from a 7500lb truck lol.

As far as the 7.3 vs 6.0, I'd have to agree with you. I've heard a lot of good things about the 7.3, and with a few mods they're really powerful motors. I've also heard the 6.0s have turbo and oiling problems, but I don't have any first hand experience. I researched them a while back when we were looking at trading the burban for an f250 crew or an excursion. The only problems I could really find with the 7.3s is they might leak a little oil, but they were still running strong with over 200k on them even leaking a little oil. The reviews I found on the 6.0 were repair after repair, "I wish I would've went with the 7.3" etc. Hope this helps some.

*Edit: If I remember right the 6.0 might get just a little better gas mileage, but not much.
Merritt

Engine Size: 2.4L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1992

Re: 6.0 vs. 7.3 Powerstroke

Postby wrngwae » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:29 am

spencer,,,,,,,i have had an f250 with the 7.3 for over 7yrsand couldnt be happier. plenty of power decent mileage (20ish) it pulled my 30ft camper from here to the grand canyon and 2yrs later Mt Rushmore,,,,,,,,not a single issue,,,,just keep you eyes on the front baljoints they tent to go at about 100thou lol........seriously i hav put a ton of towing miles on it and it has 150thou and dosent skip a beat.........
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Return to General Talk