What setup does this truck have? Anyone know?

A place to talk all things truck related.
Forum rules
Please look carefully at all the Sub Categories and place your question in the most appropriate Sub Category for faster replies. Thank you and enjoy your time here.

What setup does this truck have? Anyone know?

Postby denraweb » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:00 pm

I like how fast his bags inflate, holy shit. Is this just a normal system with an added nitrogen tank? Is that what makes it so fast, or do you need more than just nitrogen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdTQjOlpNLQ
denraweb

Engine Size: 2.0
What year vehicle do you own?: 1993

Re: What setup does this truck have? Anyone know?

Postby netstat » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:03 pm

200 psi in a high volume tank ... nuff said.
netstat
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.4L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1991

Postby denraweb » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:14 pm

netstat wrote:200 psi in a high volume tank ... nuff said.

So I wouldnt need like fast bags, or anything else to accomplish this same thing on a MM? Is that why he does it for a short time, and then stops? Cuz he's dropping under 200psi?

Also the nitrogen is playing a big role in speed correct?
denraweb

Postby netstat » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:37 pm

what nitrogen? i didn't hear any of them say anything about nitrogen.

It just looks like he's using that huge cylinder to recharge his tank so he doesn't need to run his compressor.

My buddy's S-10 is that fast @ just under 200. (all around). rear will hop @120, and front is slow until 160.

200 psi and as long as your line/fitting/valve sizes aren't restrictive this will happen. I'd be careful tho, its also a good way to put to much stress on your bags.
netstat
VIP
VIP

Postby denraweb » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:47 pm

netstat wrote:what nitrogen? i didn't hear any of them say anything about nitrogen.

It just looks like he's using that huge cylinder to recharge his tank so he doesn't need to run his compressor.

My buddy's S-10 is that fast @ just under 200. (all around). rear will hop @120, and front is slow until 160.

200 psi and as long as your line/fitting/valve sizes aren't restrictive this will happen. I'd be careful tho, its also a good way to put to much stress on your bags.

Oh I just figured it was a nitrogen tank. Didnt think about it being a reserve tank. So is there another name for a high volume tank? Or know anywhere that sells 'em? And I'm assuming 1/2" set up would be ideal for this?
denraweb

Postby netstat » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:55 pm

denraweb wrote:Oh I just figured it was a nitrogen tank. Didnt think about it being a reserve tank. So is there another name for a high volume tank? Or know anywhere that sells 'em? And I'm assuming 1/2" set up would be ideal for this?

uhmmm "the-as-many-gallon-tank-as-you-can-find-or-fit-tank" ? No specific name, just try to get a big one, they take alot longer to fill, but you'll get more switch time out of it before you run out.

1/2" should be fine from what I know. I'm definitely no pro, just know what I know from my buddy's truck and what I've been researching for mine.
netstat
VIP
VIP

Postby denraweb » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:58 pm

Lol I see. I was thinking by high volume it would mean bigger ports, but that doesnt make sense cuz everything else needs to fit like valves/lines/fittings/etc. So 1/2" ports. So i could possibly do this with two 5 gallon tanks, they will just deplete alot faster and have to fill back up right? Is a dual tank set up better than a single tank set up, do you know? Like would 2 5 gallons be better or worse than a single 10 gallon? Doesnt matter? All the same?
denraweb

Postby netstat » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:21 pm

total capacity is really all your gonna have to worry about. Hell, a 5 and 5 1's should do the same thing as a 10 lol.

why do 2 tanks instead of one bigger one tho? you trying to hide them under whats left of the bed?
netstat
VIP
VIP

Postby denraweb » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:21 am

Yea I want to be able to utilize as much of the bed as I can. I want to be able to put stuff back there if i need to. Like Im making a cover to go over the rear axle so nothing falls through.
denraweb

Postby pennyman1 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:17 pm

that truck is using a nitrogen tank with a regulator set to 200 psi - normal pressure of a full nitrogen tank is 2500 psi and up to 3500psi. Hes running it for a little bit at a time because if he runs it too long, the valves can freeze open due to the nitrogen flow. There was a minitruckin column onetime about a kid whose truck was hit and the tank valve sheared off. Guess what? It became a missle- you don't need bottled N2 (nitrogen) and besides, you should never carry pressurized gas bottles laying down unless designed that way.
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Return to General Talk