Valve stem oil seals

Re: Valve stem oil seals

Postby muzak » Sun May 23, 2010 5:58 pm

OK after a series of orders FUPS I finally broke down and bought the NAPA KD valve stem compressor so can do the job tomorrow. Bringing this up in case anyone has suggestions further than the seals with this 15k engine. There's clearly oil burning which is most likely the seals, but the engine is also getting too hot. Likely this is what contributed to the seals going and it may be all 1 cause and effect. But Mike mentioned the guides being suspect and I'm wondering if a hot head would result from this more than just the seals. For awhile I ran a 195* t-stat and that probably ushered all of this. Now I'm back to the stock 180 and something all of a sudden now, after having it in there awhile is getting too hot. No question the seals will be replaced but just in case wondering if I should look more closely at the guides perhaps.
muzak
VIP
VIP

Postby wrngwae » Mon May 24, 2010 4:10 am

while you have the cam out and the springs off you can feel your "side to side" feel on the valve stems in the guides. if that makes any cents??????? move the valve side to side while the spring is off to tell your wear. also heat is the number 1 destroyer of these lil diesels. is your turbo water cooed as well???
i have had no over heating issues with the raider radiator but it is also alot larger.
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby muzak » Mon May 24, 2010 7:27 am

wrngwae wrote:while you have the cam out and the springs off you can feel your "side to side" feel on the valve stems in the guides. if that makes any cents??????? move the valve side to side while the spring is off to tell your wear. also heat is the number 1 destroyer of these lil diesels. is your turbo water cooed as well???
i have had no over heating issues with the raider radiator but it is also alot larger.

Yeah I get what you mean about play. The turbo is water cooled and in general it's been no prob to keep the pyro under 1200, but recently it's been bad, so I haven't been driving it much. Something heating up too hot in the head is my suspicion, but will have to replace the seals and see. My radiator is the big 1 and it doesn't leak, but it does have a fair bit of bug crunching. In general I carry extra coolant in the system and with an additional heat exchanger normally the heat draw off is very good, this problem just seems to have cropped up. With the 195 t-stat at first it would run just above the mid line on the temp gauge so it's not too hot in general, just this specific issue.
muzak
VIP
VIP

Postby muzak » Mon May 24, 2010 9:20 pm

Well I got the seals in with many thanks to you guys, the old ones were the NAPA cheapies and it did appear as though oil was getting past them. I see why mechanics want compressed air, no matter how you go about it a little tapping is necessary to break spring loose and with the piston right there underneath there's a danger of breaking the seat. I'd like to see them try to install these keepers with the Snap-on magnet tap style remover though, the dual keeper method pretty much requires a real compressor. But all went well, even with a rather bulky compressor pulling the cam wasn't needed. There was 0 play in the valves as it should have been after this few miles. So if it's still getting too hot and it's not just air in the cooling system which I haven't ruled out I'll post a new thread, I didn't get a chance to drive it today.
muzak
VIP
VIP

Postby mikewarme » Wed May 26, 2010 4:06 am

Is the water pump new Zak? Otherwise replace the radiator. $168 on ebay. They are nice free shipping too. I bought a couple :lol:
mikewarme

What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Postby wrngwae » Thu May 27, 2010 3:19 am

heat is the enemy on these motors. did your oil consumption stop???????
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby muzak » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:13 pm

wrngwae wrote:heat is the enemy on these motors. did your oil consumption stop???????

There was never enough burning to notice on the stick but the smell of oil burning disappeared. Now just have to solve the other heat issue.
muzak
VIP
VIP

Previous

Return to Head & Block.