Head, gasket, and bolts

Head, gasket, and bolts

Postby muzak » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:41 pm

Well I can update much of my posts to say if it ain't nothing else it's probably the head gasket. In my case it was definitely cracked. No oil in the coolant but vice-versa, plenty coolant in the oil. This was the culmination of what must have been a hairline crack that expanded, but nonetheless it was responsible for a lot of issues. Mike said he prefers the OEM gasket but I went with the fel pro, that's what was on there before and it may not be as good, but it's what I got. Incidentally the dealer has the OEM for less.

On the head bolts you can add me to the list of USA made tools broken on the job. I used an SK 3/8 dr. and it sailed through the first 9 bolts. But the 10th bolt (3rd inside the valve cover from the front) was a mother, snapped that hex socket and left me just enough of the stub to finish the job thankfully. The bolt that did it had severe carbonized build up and it left a good chunk of itself down in the hole. I'm wondering if others have found this to be the case. Both the 9,10 pair were far more pitted than the rest and took a socket all the way to the top. In hindsight it's thankful that I used the smaller dr. 3/8 I think because in that case it was either the socket or the bolt breaking. I guess the best that can be done is to clean the bolts with steel wool and hope for the best putting them back in the same holes they were in.

Tomorrow the head goes to the machine shop to see if it needs resurfacing.
muzak
VIP
VIP

Re: Head, gasket, and bolts

Postby wrngwae » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:34 am

dont ask but for a while there i was gettting very good at those head gaskets. could do em in about 2hrs. than i got picked on by MR WARME. lol and sine he has stated he would not pick on me any more. i too had one of those motors that fought me tooth and nail til it was good to go. dont give up!!!!!!! one you get it all worked out you will love this truck. right Mike.......
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby D50DAVE » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:26 pm

Hi, I'm on here regularly but don't say much. Been reading about the fight. If it was me, and it has been, I'd use a tap to clean out the block threads and a die to chase out the bolt threads. They are cheap, and easy to use and will help you do the job correctly. Just my .02, good luck.
D50DAVE
VIP
VIP

Postby wrngwae » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:22 am

^^^^^^x2 and some fresh clean oil for the bots so when you torque them down it is a accurate reading and you dont have that cracking sound while torquing them in that will give you a false reading.
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby muzak » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:52 am

Oh yeah no prob on the tap, got titanium to do the job, now all I need is a new head! Got it to the machine shop but there was significant gasket burn and jet cracking.

Mike has been dodging my persistent requests for updated 4D56 availability questions. That's what would be really nice to match the turbo and it may be the only way to keep from blowing it again. It's a difficult situation because there are now bare heads (calling them 4D55/56) undoubtedly China coming from the UK with free shipping to the US and you know that's too good to be true.

Dirt still has his head on ebay and I told him if he pulls the valves and the cam journals we might talk biz, but 300 is the going rate for bare heads and if he thinks he's going to get more I doubt it.
muzak
VIP
VIP

Postby mikewarme » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:26 am

Zak,

Dont buy dirts POS head. Spend the money and buy the head from Perez. $700 for the head he quoted me. I believe complete. I bought a tap too. Best $10 ever. Also clear out the water jackets between the cyclinders. I used a drill bit. Its just a slot connecting the 2 holes together
mikewarme

What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Postby muzak » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:53 pm

mikewarme wrote:Zak,

Dont buy dirts POS head. Spend the money and buy the head from Perez. $700 for the head he quoted me. I believe complete. I bought a tap too. Best $10 ever. Also clear out the water jackets between the cyclinders. I used a drill bit. Its just a slot connecting the 2 holes together

Yeah gotchu on the cleaning and no way on Dirt gonna buy it. On the head my connection up here sold me the block complete for $100 but he didn't sell me the head and I believe he's still got it and will probably sell it comparatively cheap for the bare head. So I figure that would be a good option.

The differences in the valve train between the 4D55/56: the Cam, rockers, injectors are different, and the valves larger too? The injection pump has to be recalibrated as well then?

I asked Perez if they will part out a head to me, and for a quote new, depending on the shipping a new head isn't out of the question.
muzak
VIP
VIP

Postby mikewarme » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:43 pm

Same valves same injectors Zack
mikewarme

What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Postby muzak » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:42 pm

mikewarme wrote:Same valves same injectors Zack

OK, so it would be a direct bolt on. Thanx.

Is the 4D56 head compatible to the 4D55 valve train but not the other way around?

Does Perez want a core?
muzak
VIP
VIP

Postby muzak » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:57 am

OK so I finally got thru to Perez and they say it's a 3 week away shipment on the way, they're working up the quote, but the shipment has been delayed. No core. Apparently there's quite a bit of demand for the newer heads coming from Japan and they say the higher quantity imported will lower the price somewhat so maybe they can shave the $700 Mike was quoted down, without injectors it shouldn't be that much.
muzak
VIP
VIP

Next

Return to Head & Block.