Crank and oil pump seal leak!

Crank and oil pump seal leak!

Postby T-Bone » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:07 am

Hello. I have an 1984 2.3l diesel. The engine is leaking oil from the crank seal and the oil pump/balance shaft seal. I ordered a sleeve and new seal for each. Just wondering if anyone has used the sleeves before and if I need to know anything in order to get to the crank seal besides lining up the timing marks before I pull of the belts. Thanks for any info.
T-Bone

Engine Size: 2.3l
What year vehicle do you own?: 1984

Re: Crank and oil pump seal leak!

Postby wrngwae » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:32 pm

i have never used the sleeves,,,,,,,,,,,,but,,,,,,,,watch those wood roof keey they are prone to loosening up and eating your crank pulley,,,,,,,trust me here locktite is your friend...
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby T-Bone » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:59 pm

Do you mean to put locktite on the keyway to keep it from moving? do those crank sprockets just pull right off? I am using the sleeves because: Guy that I bought it from said that the motor had been rebuilt 10,000 miles ago. Pretty sure that it was true. Oil was leaking all over out the front of the engine. Found that the upper balance shaft bushing had a worn groove in it and flipped it around. leak stopped there but still leaking on the lower front. Maybe when they rebuilt it they didn't have good used parts but good seals. So, I think that the seals are still good but the metal has worn groves. How to tell if it is a bad seal? Thanks
T-Bone

Postby wrngwae » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:30 am

yea both the front pulley and the timing gear pull strait off. and i locktite the pulleys back on.
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby mikewarme » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:32 pm

T-Bone wrote:Hello. I have an 1984 2.3l diesel. The engine is leaking oil from the crank seal and the oil pump/balance shaft seal. I ordered a sleeve and new seal for each. Just wondering if anyone has used the sleeves before and if I need to know anything in order to get to the crank seal besides lining up the timing marks before I pull of the belts. Thanks for any info.

The sleeve is needed on the silent shaft sprocket. As far as the gear on the crank goes, trust me replace it! $30 worth it. The sleeve on that makes the seal to tight of a fit. Yes locktite helps but the important thing is to get the bolt as close to spec in torque as possible to keep it from ruining the pulley and the crank!

Let us know if you need anything.
mikewarme

What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Postby T-Bone » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:28 pm

So I got the red lock- Tite, so hopefully I can still remove it later. The oil pump gear drive shaft has wear on it. I pulled one off of another engine and it has less, it looks worn but I cannot see a groove and can only feel the groove when I slide something over it. What is the tolerance here? Can you still buy these new? Thanks
T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:10 pm

So the key way on the pully that drives the alternator belt is slightly worn. when in place on the crank it has about an 1/8" play. Should I just locktite that keyway and tighten the crank nut on to spec or get another pully? Thanks
T-Bone

Return to Head & Block.