Check Engine Light.

Check Engine Light.

Postby Koprnkc » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:26 am

Hello all, new to the forms.

I recently purchased a used 1988 Power Ram 50 4x4. It has the 2.6L.

The check engine light is on, and Im having a hard time finding out how to check it. I was told I could just cycle the key, but that did not appear to work. I have also been told a need a scanner that can check OBD1 codes, however, I cannot find the location under the dash where the scanner would plug in. (I would guess under the driver side kick panel, like on my Magnum)

So, my question is this: Obd 1 scanner or Key cycle to check codes. If Scanner, where is the plug in located?
Koprnkc

Engine Size: 2.6L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1988

Re: Check Engine Light.

Postby wrngwae » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:42 am

not too sure where the connection for your truck is, most likely under the hood. the obd2 connections are mostly under the drivers side dash. obd2 was mandated in 96 and newer vehicles. if i remember correctly. so your connection that you look for is not going to look like the obd2 connector your going to have probably 2 or 3 separate wires that connect to your obd1 reader.
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby Koprnkc » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:28 pm

Thank you for the replys.

I checked in the Haynes manual, and it led me to beleive the the OBD1 connections where under the dash/centerstack, however, checking there led to nothing. I will follow your suggestion about checking under the hood.

As to the re-set switch, I will look for it also, and give it a click. However, I think there is a legitatment problem with the truck, hence the check engine light, as on really cold mornings it idles really rough, and I have to keep my foot on the gas pedal for a few minutes before the choke kicks in and ramps up and smooths out the idle. I am thinking there is either a choke problem, or a sensor problem, thats why I need to get the code.

Naturally, first thing I did upon purchasing the vehcile was service it, new wires, rotor, cap, plugs, top off coolant, pcv valve, air filter, and changed the oil.

I know I need a new fuel pump, and have the part, just waiting to put it in when the weather breaks.

Again, thanks for everyones help, other then the check engine, and idle startup problem, Its ran great for the last 1200 miles.
Koprnkc

Postby Spicoli » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:40 pm

Passenger kick panel, or atleast it was in my 86
--keRby

LethalEthan wrote: I wish I had 10 exhaust pipes, I bet that shit flows like LL Cool J

Ad Inexplorata
Spicoli
VIP
VIP

Postby wrngwae » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:29 am

the diesel was in the kick panel but the raider is mounted horizontally under the passenger side dash. so there are ecus in all our rides.
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Koprnkc » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:48 am

Thanks again for the help guys.

Fuel pump went out on it this morning. It was rupturing gas bad, a steady stream of drips.

Guess I'm spending the day putting a fuel pump in. Sucks, as its damn cold here, and even though I have a garage, it aint heated. :)
Koprnkc

Postby wrngwae » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:37 am

just make sure you didnt contaminate your oil with raw fuel,,,,,,,,,,that would be bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

Return to Warning/Idiot Lights are ON