everything is dead

everything is dead

Postby ram50 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:15 am

1990 Dodge ram 50, 2.4l manual 5spd long bed

So i go out this morning to find that when I turned the key on I got nothing. No dash lights but the 12v cig lighter did work. after turning the key several more times I would get a flash of the lights on the dash and the starter would kick for a half second then go blank again. I thought ign switch. Went to the local junk yard and pulled one. put it in and nothing. I know that the switch i just got could be bad. looking for another one. Ran great yesterday and last night when I turned it off when I got home from work. I have checked the battery, computer, all fuses inside and the three under the hood. all are good (tested with meter)
Like I said before I think the switch I got may be bad and looking for another. Does anyone have any other thoughts for me to look at. I have to have the truck running today,my son and I are camping with the boy scouts this weekend at the dam and I am suppossed to bring my boat to pull them around in the water ( I must be the only parent with a boat).
ram50

Engine Size: 2.4
What year vehicle do you own?: 1990

Re: everything is dead

Postby dmr8x2 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:38 pm

check your cables at the battery ,,and the clamps to the battery
dmr8x2
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.4
What year vehicle do you own?: 1992

Postby camoit » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:33 pm

If you have Corrosion then use some bakeing soda and a brush to clean up the hole battery. Go out and get the medicated little pads from NOCO with the red stuff in them "NCP-2" Don't get the green and red pads that DO NOT have the anit Corrosion stuff. Ask for the NOCO NCP-2. Works great last long time. 1 can will last a life time.
Here is my BUILD THREAD.
Live Class 6 off road race truck build. CLICK HERE FOR FEED.

http://www.onsiteconcrete.net
camoit
Admin
Admin

Engine Size: 2.6L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1980

Postby TurboMax » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:43 pm

Check your grounds, too.
TurboMax

Engine Size: 2.6T

Postby pennyman1 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:38 pm

There is a fusable link off the positive battery cable that will kill the truck if it fails. Its the 12 gauge looking wire with a plig part way down the wire. Blew mine one day while driving - Jumped it out to get it home, was only 2 blocks away.
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Postby nathanm66 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:15 am

pennyman1 wrote:There is a fusable link off the positive battery cable that will kill the truck if it fails. Its the 12 gauge looking wire with a plig part way down the wire. Blew mine one day while driving - Jumped it out to get it home, was only 2 blocks away.

Is this one about 18 inches past the battery, apart from the 3 that are off of the postive post at the battery? I noticed this fuse on my truck (1991 model) yesterday, in a black enclosure about 1 inch wide. I tested successfully for continuity across the battery terminals with the key turned to the on position so at first I am guessing fuses are OK. I accidently dropped the hood when I was charging the battery one night and could have blown a fuse, but all fuses inside and the 3 fusible links appear to be OK. I don't know the condition of this additional fuse that you mentioned. Could you tell me what it controls or what would be effected if it was blown? Thanks.
nathanm66

Engine Size: 3.0
What year vehicle do you own?: 1991

Return to Charging & Starting.