Truck died and now won't start

Truck died and now won't start

Postby MaxTheMighty » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:17 am

Hello,I'm new here and found this forum hoping that I could find some help at getting to the bottom of my problem.I'll try to be as descriptive as possible.
The truck in question is a 91 mighty max 4x4 with a 3.0 V6.I bought the car a little more than a year ago and it's been a dream and not to mention a steal for only 1500.It ran perfect and never have me any problems for about the first year I had it.Recentl things have went downhill.a few months back it started giving me problems while starting.
At first it was just not turning the engine at all at time when I went to start it,but not all the time.(think that was a starter problem).But more recent;y I had been having problems with when it finally did turn over it would shut back off unless I gave it some gas to get it to keep running(only had to give it gas untill it autochoked or whatever to 2k rpm)
I had been dealing with those issues for about 2 months and wasnt having any other problems with the truck other than that.Then about 2 weeks ago I stoped to fill up my tank,and the truck would just not start back up.I've gottn it home since and replaced the starter(elimnated that dead click)the coilpack,the cap and rotor.I even tried replacing the ignition coil to no avail.

so my problem seems to be that I'm not getting any spark.I checked my gaps on my sparkplugs and there fine.So between all of this I'm pretty much lost.i'm not sure what else I can check and my lack of knowledge on mitsubishi's doesnt help,I'm sually a honda man myself.So any help or suggestions you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated.Especially since I live in socal and theres all this nice mud out there from the storm just waiting to be womped.thanks again.
MaxTheMighty

Engine Size: 3.0
What year vehicle do you own?: 1991

Re: Truck died and now won't start

Postby 4doorciv » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:58 am

Welcome to the board. With the start of all diagnostics, you start with the basics. Spark and fuel. Since you know you don't have spark, did you also check fuel? These trucks are run by a computer and the computer would either have a fusable link or a fuse to power it up. Let us know what happens.
-Ryan-
1989 mighty max 4g63 turbo. -down-
1995 Eagle talon tsi awd. -daily-
1992 Honda civic b18c1. -sold-
4doorciv
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 4g63
What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Postby pennyman1 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:00 pm

These trucks have issues with caps failing in the ECU, which controls both spark and fuel. This link talks about the problem and how to repair the ECU if you are so inclined: http://www.technomotive.com/howto/ecu1g/caps.htm . The cam sensor could also cause this problem, but with the age of the truck, this should be addressed regardless,
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Postby DroppedMitsu » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:40 pm

Most likely ecu, happens A lot with mitsus and ur symptoms sound just like it. But might want to try the cheaper suggestions first
-Josh-
1987 Mighty Max with 4g63 Turbo swap
1989 Macrocab Mighty Max
DroppedMitsu
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 4g63
What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby mikewarme » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:02 pm

ECU. EVEN if it has spark. Drove me nuts on my 92 with a 3.0. Make sure you get the right part number! Its on the face of the computer. SHould be a MD#
mikewarme

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Postby MaxTheMighty » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Ok thanks for the replies.Overall I've went and replaced my plugs,wires,cap,rotor,coil pack,and even befor that the controle module.So that leaves me from everyones advice to look towards the ecu and cam sensor.I'll have to start checking the local pickand pulls for an ecu or find somewhere to repair it.
How do I go about checking the ecu anyways?Would it be as simple as opening it up and looking for burnt or loose parts or is the any easier or more accurate way?Thanks again.
MaxTheMighty

What year vehicle do you own?: 1991

Postby mikewarme » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:26 pm

Don't bother with pick n pull. There all as bad as yours. Pull it out and Google the part number and you will get a list of people who will repair it. I doubt the can sensor will make it not start. The Mitsubishi computers all had problems with leaking capacitors. You might see it when you open it.
mikewarme

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Postby lush90 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:41 am

Agree 100% with Mike not to buy a used one, send yours in to be rebuilt. It's a time related issue so any used ones that for that year are going to be short lived. I had mine rebuilt by Foreign Auto Computer (or something close) in Zephyrhills, FL for about $200., including shipping and it took about 5 days, also including shipping. They were really good to work with and have answered several other questions I've asked on other vehicles since then. I'm not connected with them in any way but would definitely recommend them.
lush90
VIP
VIP

What year vehicle do you own?: 1990

Postby lush90 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:02 am

Just one other comment. When the computer went on my '90, I was driving and it just stalled out. When I turned the key, I could hear a "click" from the computer but no cranking of the engine. Had the computer rebuilt and works perfectly. My son has a '91 3.0 and the other night, it cut out on him. Turning the key did nothing, no computer click or engine cranking. I had picked up a spare computer just in case this happened, installed it and nothing! I checked the 3 fuses on the back of the battery and the 3 fusible links on the fender wall next to the master cylinder and all were fine. My next thought was the ignition switch so I removed the steering column cover and discovered that the switch pigtail connector was loose. Snapped it together and he's back on the road driving. My point here was that when my computer was bad, I could hear it click once when I turned the key. With the ignition switch disconnected (or bad), no click. Hope this helps!
lush90
VIP
VIP

What year vehicle do you own?: 1990

Return to Charging & Starting.