Newbie in San Diego : Off-idle mixture adjust=??

A place to introduce yourself and get aquainted with the other members.
Come on in, we don't bite!
Forum rules
Please look carefully at all the Sub Categories and place your question in the most appropriate Sub Category for faster replies. Thank you and enjoy your time here.

Newbie in San Diego : Off-idle mixture adjust=??

Postby gordiray » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:22 pm

I have three 1982 Ram 50 2.6 L automatics, all white, ex-Navy. One needs Calif smog. One has a noise of undetermined origin, probably in valves (broken jet valve tip?), and has not been driven for 6 years, after noise developed 1 block from house. One is semi-junker in country storage. Probably overheated. I also have a 1982 Dodge Rampage mini-pickup in storage. Needs new front wheel bearings and probably hubs.

The Ram 50/D-50 which needs smogging has 185,000 miles , about 140, 000 by me. Well maintained, in Ensenada , at good prices . Carb cleaned 4 years ago in Tijuana at Carburadores Rodriguez for $ 40 !! They moved from near the Costco near the San Ysidro crossing about 3 years ago. I have not been to them since, so do not know if they are still in business. They had many customers, from both sides of the border. I have a good Snug Top shell hand laid up fiberglass(stronger) on the bed, with very useful big aftermarket custom side openings , made in Chula Vista ,on the shell (but the cheapskate who made those for the Navy and a local security company used the lowest grade of particleboard, covered with thin aluminum, so moisture gets into the particleboard, and periodic sealing/repainting has been required) with custom ventilation, a custom wood top rack, and a custom Lexan bumper -grill cover which I made. Seat is from a 1989 body. It fit !!

I am working with the usual troublesome automatic choke on the Mikuni carb. This time, I may go manual, drilling the required hole in the firewall.

In the factory manual, page 14-9: Primary Metering system: "The primary metering system consists of the primary main jet, primary pilot jet, OFF-IDLE MIXTURE ADJUSTING SCREW ( Caps mine), idle mixture adjusting screw, and primary main nozzle. " WHERE IS THE " OFF IDLE MIXTURE ADJUSTING SCREW"? It seems to be mentioned only on that page.

I am wondering about NOx v. CO balance , with which I have had troubles before. I am required to go to a Test-Only smog check station every two years. Last time,two years ago, I was on the Calif . contributes up to $500 and owner co-pays $100 program. The shop really padded the bill, and wrote up the work deceptively/erroneously. The idle mixture MAS screw he set way rich, but wrote the symptom as "high CO". I had failed for only 2% too high NOx at 1500 rpm .

What effect , if any, does the idle mixture adjustment (MAS) have on the smog readings at 1500 RPM? Presumably, the mysterious" off-idle mixture adjustment" would have an effect on the the NOx vs CO balance at 1500 rpm.

A California legal catalytic converter ( they check numbers now, supposedly) , is $145 online for the lower cat. , labor extra. I suppose that , if needed , an upper cat, if one could be found (cannibalize my other D-50's?) would be $$$ or $$$$.

The manual, p. 14-9, continues:"Bypass holes continue the flow of idle mixture, at light load running, which is fine-adjusted by the OFF-IDLE MIXTURE ADJUSTING SCREW". (my caps) That screw is NOT ( it seems, reading the text) the idle mixture adjusting screw , shown as MAS in the factory manual ( lots of Japanese English in it sometimes confused me with erroneous translations, as a beginner on D-50), nor is it shown in the Haynes book, so far as I have inspected there for it.
gordiray

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1982

Re: Newbie in San Diego : Off-idle mixture adjust=??

Postby camoit » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:46 pm

Here is a link to the smog laws in California. I now have a UPS Po Pox in Lassen county. No smog checks there. Go to this site and find a local county that you can use for your registration. UPS will automaticly forward your mail to you. I love it. Screw the Government...http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2539

Welcome to the site. Membership has it's advantages. As a member of the MightyRam50 site you can now recive Free Internet Radio.
This Radio Station is compleatly under our control. It is under construction but it is working.
Give it a try. We play everything. Here is a link to the information on the station. http://mightyram50.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1510 If you or any body has a problem with a member or parts of the site please feel free to contact us and we will take care of the problem as quickly as we can.
Thank you.
The staff of
Mightyram50.com
Here is my BUILD THREAD.
Live Class 6 off road race truck build. CLICK HERE FOR FEED.

http://www.onsiteconcrete.net
camoit
Admin
Admin

Engine Size: 2.6L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1980

Re: Newbie in San Diego : Off-idle mixture adjust=??

Postby beachrat92 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:00 pm

look at this page. it tells you where you do and dont have smog in CA. maybe register it in a place you dont have to thats what im going to do

http://www.sdvsa.org/CaliforniaSmogZones.htm
- Dan
beachrat92

Engine Size: 2.0
What year vehicle do you own?: 1988

Return to Newbies