Chevy 4.3 in 2nd gen Mightymax

Chevy 4.3 in 2nd gen Mightymax

Postby Jamus » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:54 am

Everybody hates the guy who won't search first, so I have been trying. Unfortunately "4.3" is too short to be acknowledged by the search, same with "v6", and chevy is a bit vague. I did see a couple mentions of 4.3 swaps but not a lot of info and no pics, they also seemed to mostly be 2wd applications. I assume motor mounts will be custom. Is header clearance a problem, custom headers needed? I've seen mention of running V8's so I'm guessing that there is plenty of room in the engine bay. I'm sure there are millions of questions but that's what popped in my mind at the moment. Oh yeah, one more, what is the highest gearing(lowest numerically) that came in the 4wd, and what is most common to the 2nd gens? I know the gears will be pretty steep for the added power of the 4.3 no matter what they are. Thanks for the help.
Jamus

Engine Size: 4.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1992

Re: Chevy 4.3 in 2nd gen Mightymax

Postby TotallyBalistic » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:51 am

the main problems so far with the 4.3 swaps in the 2wds is the steering and oil pan clearance and the headers...same for the v8 swaps with the gm and mopar v8's but the ford v8 swaps are easier in the 2wd because of the front sump oil pan. the 4x4's are alot easier for a motor swap IMO because the steering is in a different spot and you can do a body lift and get more clearance for the bell housing. im going to try using stock 88 s-10 blazer exhaust manifolds on my 4.3 swap in my 88 2wd macro and im real sure i can make it work pretty easily...its just going to be a while before i can start the swap. and there is no all out 4.3 swap thread yet...i had planned on making one when i do my swap. maybe rickdees will buzz in with some more info..hes got a 4.3 swap in a 1st gen 2wd
Chuck Norris doesnt read books, he stares them down until he gets the information he wants.
TotallyBalistic
Good Times
Good Times

Engine Size: 2.0
What year vehicle do you own?: 1988

Postby RickDees » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Jamus wrote:(1.) I assume motor mounts will be custom.
(2)Is header clearance a problem, custom headers needed?
(3)I've seen mention of running V8's so I'm guessing that there is plenty of room in the engine bay.
(4)I'm sure there are millions of questions
(5) what is the highest gearing(lowest numerically) that came in the 4wd,
and what is most common to the 2nd gens?
(6) Thanks for the help.

(1) This asumption would be correct, On mine I used I think I used (a piece of 3x3) square tubing on a diaginal cut and lightened the side with small cut outs. Just for looks so it wouldn't look plain jane.
then I plate the top off with a 3/16 plate. It's not that tough, it just takes time setting the engine and making sure everything you have planned out works.
(2) I has boughten a set of regular headers at first, they would just barely clear the frame. unfortunately on the 2wd trucks like Russ said it's the sterring issues and they hang below the cross member.
Same for shorty headers with steering but they dump slightly on the frame. Now I'm talking about the 4.3 with I had to do.
The V8 is whole new ball game with chevy, But Russ has covered that. Maxheadroom (jason) has biult 302 in his, He is dealing with header issues as we speak and cutom headers will cost about $6 to 700 on your dimentions. If you are wrong thats totally your loss
(3) Oh, hell no! not on the 2wd trucks
(4) MILLIONS! and lot of OH SHITs!
(5) as far I know 3:90, I have 3:74 (ford 8.8 rear end) and a th350 these gear are way too short, but you could use a 31" tire and might be Ok on the 4x
with 3:54s? So 3:54, 3:90 then you have the montero and raider gears that are much shorter going into the4: and 5: range.
(6)Thats why these guy's hang out for, they love to help out
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says W T F.....
RickDees
Donator
Donator

What year vehicle do you own?: 1986

Postby TotallyBalistic » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:40 am

thanks rick i knew you wouldnt let me down. :handgestures-thumbupright: the v8 swap in my 4x4 was pretty easy because of the way my truck is put together but puttin a v8 in a factory 4x4 doesnt seem like it would be much harder...but i cant justify putting a v8 in a stock ifs mini truck cause youll pop cv axles like toothpicks...the 4.3 is a great engine size for most mini trucks and thats why i chose the 4.3...alot of power upgrates and they are easy to find
Chuck Norris doesnt read books, he stares them down until he gets the information he wants.
TotallyBalistic
Good Times
Good Times

Engine Size: 2.0
What year vehicle do you own?: 1988

Postby Jamus » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:54 pm

Thanks for the info guys, and thanks for getting my questions into a reasonable order, haha. I ran a Blazer with the 4.3, 4.10s, and 33's so similar gearing with 31's wasn't looking too fun. 3.54 would probably be best, but I could live with almost anything. Deeper gears would just call for larger tires after all. In case you were wondering about the IFS, street legal is my reasoning for keeping it stock. I've swapped solid axles under both an s-blazer and a ranger, and a modified inspection sticker was a hassle both times. I still need to go look at this truck, looks good from the road but hard to tell what the frame is like.
Jamus

What year vehicle do you own?: 1992

Return to General Questions.