better performance help

better performance help

Postby zipperd50 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:38 pm

is there anything that could be done to our trucks that would help it perform a little better with out spending an arm and a leg on something
zipperd50
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.6L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Re: better performance help

Postby Ramit » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:28 pm

What do you consider an arm or a leg? $100, $500, $1000? You can eliminate the balance shaft and free up a few ponies for not a whole bunch of money.You could add a header(if lucky enough to find a quality one) for a few hundred bucks.You could match port your head for better flow,don't know how much that costs.I mean the possibilities are endless.It all depends on how fast you wanna spend!
If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you it's yours to keep.If it doesn't come back, hunt it down..and kill it
Ramit
Donator
Donator

Postby raidinator » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:05 pm

my first suggestion is a cam all in all about 3oo bucks assuming you rebuild the head with stronger springs while you are at it. this also gives the opportunity to clean up the casting thus adding efficiency. more than anything it gives the rest of you mods more effectiveness but even stand alone it adds some ponies,
check out topend performance, you can send your cam out to have it reground for 150 usd. not a bad call

also i second the motion on the headers. they aren't expensive my pacesetters were 130, i haven't tried them yet so the jury is still out on them but in theory they should add some punch. also a K&N air filter is worth the investment.

my final suggestion is the carb, the stock mikuni is pretty complicated for what it does and doesn't flow very much. To fix this most folks go with a larger Weber. I myself am rebuilding and rejetting a holly 2300. the carb upgrade will add all around power and possibly MPG. Webers can be found on ebay for a few hundred bucks and holleys practically fall from the sky. sadly though there are a bunch of supporting mods that make the carb change the most expensive of the upgrades

these mods can be done incrementally and the vehicle will continue to run although you should do the carb last so that you know what size carb you need.

any way that's my 0.02 good luck keep us posted
Continuing the endless quest to build my 2.6 liter adventure machine
raidinator

Engine Size: 2.6

Postby pennyman1 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:02 pm

Another performance upgrade is to go with 1mm o/s valves; the stem is undercut to increase flow at the same lift. These are getting harder to find, but not impossible. Also, there are 1.6 roller rockers to swap in for the stock 1.5s. both of these are what many starquest guys run to improve the flow and won't break the bank. On a manual, have the flywheel lightened; they are very heavy(30+#) and less mass here will let it spin up faster without hurting engine rpm drop when off the throttle.
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Postby jldavis1969 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:47 pm

raidinator wrote:also i second the motion on the headers. they aren't expensive my pacesetters were 130, i haven't tried them yet so the jury is still out on them but in theory they should add some punch.

I am looking into the pacesetter headers for my d50, I have a crack in the upper protion and the cat is plugged. Will let you know what happens.

raidinator wrote: also a K&N air filter is worth the investment.

What filter number do you need? I have the stock filter housing.

raidinator wrote: my final suggestion is the carb, the stock mikuni is pretty complicated for what it does and doesn't flow very much. To fix this most folks go with a larger Weber. I myself am rebuilding and rejetting a holly 2300. the carb upgrade will add all around power and possibly MPG. Webers can be found on ebay for a few hundred bucks and holleys practically fall from the sky. sadly though there are a bunch of supporting mods that make the carb change the most expensive of the upgrades.

these mods can be done incrementally and the vehicle will continue to run although you should do the carb last so that you know what size carb you need.

any way that's my 0.02 good luck keep us posted
jldavis1969

Engine Size: 2.0
What year vehicle do you own?: 1979

Postby raidinator » Mon May 10, 2010 5:50 pm

I have no idea what filter number to buy, i just bought one off the internet and it fits much to my amazement. By the way of you are willing to tear down the head then the 1mm over SS valves are a great idea, and an excellent compliment to the cam and springs but i get the vibe that you aren't looking to go that far. A good middle ground is to remove all the casting imperfections with a dremel tool in both the ports of the head and in you intake manifold. You wouldn't believe the math on how much a little imperfection is magnified at high rpm. it's well worth your time and assuming you already owned a dremel tool like thing: it's next to free. just be careful to read up on it before you start and opt to take less rather than more.

good luck
Continuing the endless quest to build my 2.6 liter adventure machine
raidinator

Engine Size: 2.6

Postby 77amc » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:52 pm

You don't state which engine youre intending on 'moddin'

E
77amc
VIP
VIP