Starter motor probloms.

Starter motor probloms.

Postby ipods.rocks » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:48 pm

hey guys, yet again i have another problem. (drive my 88 2.6 sport for 6 months problem free in Fresno heat, then the starter goes bad, i think i fix it,day after, the pilot bearing goes out, and the tranny goes bad, replace the tranny, then it runs rough because of the spark plugs, i replace the spark plugs, and now the starter is acting up again....) now to my question
this dosnt happen all the time, but i turn the key, nothing, i can hear the solenoid clicking, and all the electronics(radio, lights, buzzer, ETC.) work. my question is: is there a safety switch where my clutch has to be engaged? or does it sound like its the starter itself, or the alternator, or battery?

thanks again!!
ipods.rocks

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1988

Re: Starter motor probloms.

Postby D50DAVE » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:03 am

Tap the starter with a hammer while the key is in the start position. No safety switch.
D50DAVE
VIP
VIP

Postby 4doorciv » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:29 am

Sometimes corroded terminals or loose connection at either positive or negative terminals at either battery or stater cam give you problems. Corroded battery terminals are a sign or the battery needing replacing soon. You said you fixed the problem with the starter already, what was the problem and how did you fix it? Added grounds, cleaned connections, replaced starter? Jumped the starter switch straight to battery by jumper switch?
-Ryan-
1989 mighty max 4g63 turbo. -down-
1995 Eagle talon tsi awd. -daily-
1992 Honda civic b18c1. -sold-
4doorciv
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 4g63
What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Postby pennyman1 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:42 pm

Check the grounding from the battery, on 1st gens it is a set of 3 or 4 cables that tie the battery, frame, body and engine block together in a daisy chain arraingement. It don't take much corrosion at each bolt to cause the starter to not spin. The armature in the starter could have a dead spot also, or your motor brushes could have weak springs or be worn out.
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Postby ipods.rocks » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:20 pm

yeah guys, thanks for all the help,it turned out that the starter was full of gunk, so i cleaned it out, and its working like a charm
ipods.rocks

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1988

Return to General Questions.