time for a new engine?

time for a new engine?

Postby MMaxx94 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:50 am

ok guys.. so i had my 'big debut' this past weekend at Scrapin the Coast in Biloxi, MS. Finally took my truck out... had problems the whole weekend. Friday we were on our way to get registered and judged and all of a sudden my exhaust becomes unusually, horribly, LOUD. a few feet later down the road, my buddy Joey is swerving to avoid my EXHAUST PIPE that decided to FALL OFF.. so my truck was sounding like an old muscle car for a while. actually sounded pretty nice for a 4 cylinder, i must say...

Friday night we went cruising down the beach front [which was awesome, btw] and it started running funny. it seemed to bog down whenever i would accelerate and just not want to go anywhere. i pulled over in a gas station to check all my fluids. i was low on oil, but not quite below the minimum. we added oil and it started running worse. so at this point i gave my boyfriend the wheel cuz i was tired of fighting with it. this was probably my mistake. i tend to baby my truck... he doesn't.. we must've burned a tank of gas that night.. it ran rough, but it made it.

next day we left early in the AM to head to the car show. running even worse. belts screeching and we could barely get the damn truck over 35MPH. we made it to the show, but rolled up the windows with my 5% tint to hide our faces from the horrible sound of the truck. lol my oil pressure light was blinking.. it would come on then when you would accelerate it would go off and only come back on once you let off the gas.

we checked my oil again. no change. we kept my truck there overnight and Sunday afternoon once the show was over my boyfriend drove it back to the hotel for me. by the time he got to the hotel it was starting to knock pretty bad. still, the oil was at the same level.

if anyone has any ideas about what happened i would love to hear them. i'm not enough of a gear head to try to tear apart an engine and rebuild, nor are my pockets deep enough to pay someone to do it for me :( but, curiousity kills the cat

also, what are some relatively easy swaps for these trucks? in case anyone doesn't know, i have the 94 2.4 EFI with standard tranny. all help and advice is greatly appreciated.. thanks in advance guys
94 Max
<Under ConsTrucKtion>

00 Dakota 4X4
V8 Magnum Mud toy =)

04 Mustang [DD]
true dual exhaust, rims, custom audio & interior, lowering springs

http://www.myspace.com/XoStangBabyXo [add mee]
MMaxx94

Re: time for a new engine?

Postby RusTy Max » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:17 am

Sounds like the oil pump is taking a dump, of course it could have been a balance shaft belt shredding on the inside which could hender the oil pump belt from moving at top notch. Take off the front cover and look in there... You won't be able to take the bottom of the front cover off without removing the harmonic balancer. But with a flashlight you should be able to see how the belts are doing just looking through the top. Let me know what's going on with that. Also, check your plugs to make sure they aren't fouled.
RusTy Max

Engine Size: 2.4L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1992

Postby MMaxx94 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:51 am

RusTy Max wrote:Sounds like the oil pump is taking a dump, of course it could have been a balance shaft belt shredding on the inside which could hender the oil pump belt from moving at top notch. Take off the front cover and look in there... You won't be able to take the bottom of the front cover off without removing the harmonic balancer. But with a flashlight you should be able to see how the belts are doing just looking through the top. Let me know what's going on with that. Also, check your plugs to make sure they aren't fouled.

yea, i thought of the oil pump.. just drove it too much before i could check. being that the engine is starting to knock, is it too late? i don't want to waste time and money on an engine that is gone. if i get a new engine, i'll probably try to do a swap and just replace everything under the hood.. yes, lots of work, but at least i would know what i'm working with. the way it is now, i have no idea what the guy did as far as maintenance and such.
94 Max
<Under ConsTrucKtion>

00 Dakota 4X4
V8 Magnum Mud toy =)

04 Mustang [DD]

MMaxx94

Postby MMaxx94 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:39 am

ok guys.. lookin at doing a V8 swap from an old Ford truck. a 302.

lookin at swappin the engine & tranny. to do this i would have to use the Ford's rear end and narrow it, right?

yea, i know the motor mounts will be a bitch. lookin at a LONG project ahead. but i think it will be worth it..

has anyone done a V8 swap into one of these trucks? i'm sure i'll have LOTS of questions!
94 Max
<Under ConsTrucKtion>

00 Dakota 4X4
V8 Magnum Mud toy =)

04 Mustang [DD]

MMaxx94

Postby villacorta32 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:34 pm

wild child was doing a 302 as well i believe, u should ask him
villacorta32
VIP
VIP

Postby D50DAVE » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:44 pm

Check and see if the engine is a front or rear sump oil pan. Seems that I remember that there was a difference. Or maybe not, couldn't hurt to look.
D50DAVE
VIP
VIP

Postby Spicoli » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:20 pm

Jason (maxxheadroom) has done it also. and I think Dave is hinging at that you would want a front sump like the MMs are
--keRby

LethalEthan wrote: I wish I had 10 exhaust pipes, I bet that shit flows like LL Cool J

Ad Inexplorata
Spicoli
VIP
VIP

Postby MMaxx94 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:13 pm

thx guys!
94 Max
<Under ConsTrucKtion>

00 Dakota 4X4
V8 Magnum Mud toy =)

04 Mustang [DD]

MMaxx94

Postby 79D50 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:14 am

I got a motor you could buy. I'll sell it to you cheap. Only $8500...hahahaha....Why dont you just do a mild rebuild on what you have? Some "old 302" sounds like somebody's "old problems." Plus, you need to hack the shit out of your engine bay (firewall, tranny tunnel etc) to get it to fit. If you are show minded and I quote "Don't have deep pockets" then make a clean rebuild out of your existing and paint everything while your doing it. It's not expensive. How many miles are on the motor in your truck now? If it is above 100-150K and you were knocking a bit and driving it in this condition (BAD :o ) then a rebuild is probably not a bad idea becasue you have probably damaged your bearings (rod, main) etc. There are lots of crate motors available as well. You can make some serious power out of these I4's if you have the time, patience, and a bit of money to do it. If money is an issue then just stay stock. Keep in mind that a tear down of that 302 would be a smart move before you plunk her in - just a visual inspection of the heads and lower end. I would hate to see you do all the work just to pull it back out because it puked. Think suspension as well...What is the year of the "old 302?" I can tell you it is not the light version i.e. aluminum heads etc. Will you be able to compensate for the added weight with your current suspension setup? BTW - Your stock rearend will work if your pumping less than 300Hp through it. Any more than that and it would be anybody's guess on how long it would last. You would just need to modify your drive line to fit.

My best advice to you is think it through, sleep on it, and weigh your options after you have done some research. You need to quantify costs, time, and practicablity. Pencil some options on paper and get back to us. We can help you with the financials i.e. being resourceful, getting good deals etc.
79D50
Donator
Donator

Postby MMaxx94 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:59 am

i totally agree with your opinion. the engine and tranny itself is gonna be free. not completely sure on the year. it has about 40k miles on it since it had been rebuilt recently. new tranny when it was rebuilt also. to be completely honest with you, i don't know much about engines. i'm kinda worried about tearing it all down and attempting to put it back together and have things go horribly wrong after spending so much time and money on it. yes, money is def. an issue, as it is with almost everyone. the thing about sleeping on it, i have put a lot of thought into it and honestly i strongly considered puttin the truck up for sale after repainting it primer and let someone else deal with it! lol

but i do have another option that has recently become available. i know someone who has a truck identical to mine which runs perfect. i forgot what the mileage was but it was under 100K. thing ran like a dream. the body is a bit beat up, but i figure i could do a body swap. wouldn't take nearly as much time or work and not much can go wrong, plus i'll have plenty of extra parts on my hands if i want to keep them, or put the other truck together and sell it at a junk yard and get some of my money back.

i'm exploring my options. having a V8 would be great. and it would be a great learning experience. but it would be a lot of work, and like you said a tear down would be a good idea. to tear my 2.4 down would also be alot of work but probably worth it because i would learn a lot and know the status of the majority of my parts in my truck. and the body swap would be the easiest way, but nothing to learn from or be truly proud of. i'll take some time and put some thought into it..

thank you for your input and advice. its greatly appreciated.
94 Max
<Under ConsTrucKtion>

00 Dakota 4X4
V8 Magnum Mud toy =)

04 Mustang [DD]

MMaxx94

Next

Return to General Questions.