Control arm shaft replacement

Stock Trucks.

Control arm shaft replacement

Postby T-Bone » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:55 pm

I just recieved new control arm shafts for my 84 d50 TD. I tried to loosen the nuts on the C.A.S to put the new one on but they wouldn't move. Do I need a big wrench w/ breaker bar to get these off because there is not enough room for a socket on the driver side? Also to get the bolts/ nuts off that secure the shafts to the frame do I need to remove the control arm? Thanks for any help
T-Bone

Engine Size: 2.3l
What year vehicle do you own?: 1984

Re: Control arm shaft replacement

Postby pennyman1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:22 pm

The nuts on the end of the shaft do not both spin it the same direction - the front spin ccw to loosen and the rear spins cw. Also understand that the nuts are part of your alignment, so count the turns on each nut to insure your're close to original to be able to drive to shop for alignment when done. you will need to unbolt the upper conrtol arm to remove the shaft for replacement; again keep track on how many shims are on each side and replace them when putting control arms back on. While you are at it, replace the lower control arm bushings with urethane - it will eliminate the wheel shimmy at 45-55 mph.
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Postby T-Bone » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:51 am

What do you think I would need for tools to get the lower control arm bushings off? Thanks again.
T-Bone

Engine Size: 2.3l
What year vehicle do you own?: 1984

Postby DroppedMitsu » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:04 am

Ball joint separator and assortment of wrenches and sockets. That should be basically it, I just did mine a month or so ago. Man were they WORE out. I definitely recommend everyone probably replace their lower control arm bushings
-Josh-
1987 Mighty Max with 4g63 Turbo swap
1989 Macrocab Mighty Max
DroppedMitsu
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 4g63
What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby pennyman1 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:59 pm

And replace them with urethane - rubber goes bad in 5 to 10 k miles. The strut rod bushing should also be replaced, also available in urethane - be sure to count the exposed threads on the strut rods as they affect the front end alignment
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Return to Stock Front & Rear Supension, Steering.