Power steering 'upgrade'??

Stock Trucks.

Power steering 'upgrade'??

Postby 77amc » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:44 am

Hey, I just went to that local yard and found a older Montero that had the 2.6 and snoopin around, I noticed that it had a self contained power steering pump/res..?
It looks like it will just bolt up to mine. same size pulley too.
It would clean up that side alittle so one wouldn't have the res up on the fender-well.
I already moved my washer res to the back firewall. Just need to drill out the spotwelds, grind and paint.
It would really be nice to delete most of the wires on the D/S fender to clean up that side too.

Errol
77amc
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Re: Power steering 'upgrade'??

Postby pennyman1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:43 pm

My 80 d50 w/PS had a pump with an internal resv. but I changed it to the separate resv because I could get new hoses for the sep but not for the internal resv. That was 15 years ago, before I found a place that could put new hoses on the old fittings and guarentee their work. The internal resv was a 6-79 to 12-79 setup; my truck is an 80 built in 9-79.
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Postby 77amc » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:01 am

I went with one of my buds there again and took a look at it again. I just don't get the tiny res on them.. Maybe if you were to run a cooler inline with the return, one could raise the fluid amount. I just don't think that said cooler could be mounted over the pump/res. TONS of the Honda Accords had a l - o - n - g power steering cooler that went from side to side just under the bumper bolted to the rad support. It could be used for a frame-rail cooler!!

The Montero had a front steering box for the peeps that don't know, and therefore the lines are shorter. BUT, it looks like just the pump/res could be swapped out easy enough. Even looks to use the same belt!

E
77amc
VIP
VIP

Postby 77amc » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:42 pm

GOT IT.. Just need to clean and install with that cooler. And take some pics.

E
77amc
VIP
VIP

Postby TheMightyLeo » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:29 pm

wheres the update capitan? power steering upgrade is one of the reasons i joined this forum
TheMightyLeo

Engine Size: 2.6l
What year vehicle do you own?: 1979

Postby 77amc » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:26 pm

SO SORRY man.. I just put it on this last week.! NOW, I did use the oil cooler adapter from a quest that I stripped and dang-it if the oil pressure sending unit was in the way.. Easy fix, I happen to have a 45deg angle adapter and there.. Still doesn't register on my gauges though. If it takes the larger one, I may have to run a "T" from the other hole off near the cover.

I could probably use a little longer belt though, but it seems to be running fine without any weird noises.
I just think that it's such a small resivior(?) the fluid would heat quickly.

Next is to find out why the heck the steering box nut on top is leaking all of a sudden.. NOTHING was touched on it and it didn't leak before the engine swap. :?:

I'll try and add some pics later tonight or.. But yes, I did get some pics of it and I likes it.

E
77amc
VIP
VIP

Return to Stock Front & Rear Supension, Steering.