New Guy

New Guy

Postby mopartechnician » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:30 am

Hey guys, just bought me a 1984 Mitsu pickup with the diesel. Its just a 2wd so we are gonna be putting in one of my buddies d50's. Ive tried searching around the internet for some info but its really limted. I was lucky to find this site.

Here are my questions:

What engine do I have? I know there are two differnt diesels right?

What can I do to turn the truck up? I used to own a 02 dodge cummins making 400hp and 900tq so I love making diesels go fast.

I know the first thing Im gonna do is get egr and boost gauges put in and then advance the pump gear one tooth, I know you can adjust the fuel screw and something with the low boost fuel but I really don't know how to and what to set them to. Also what can be done to the turbo to make more boost?

Thanks

mopar
mopartechnician

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1984

Re: New Guy

Postby wrngwae » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:04 am

welcome,,,,,,,man the diesels are coming out of the wood work...lol i posted on your other thread but oh well. you can do a few things to up that pump out put but i would be careful our motors like to blow heads.....btw it is a 4d55 and the newer version is 4d56 but there is also a 4m40 but that is a different block too.
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby mikewarme » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:14 am

Only one engine was sold in these unless yours is a Backyard mechanic conversion. Does your have an indicator light on the dash? You will loose substantial value in the truck if you transplant the motor into a gasser truck. These trucks are worth good money in decent shape. Anywhere from 3-7k. 4wd drives get the most. But it MUST be an original diesel and not a conversion to be worth money.
mikewarme

What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Postby mopartechnician » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:13 pm

ok I am running into some issues, the truck would pull start and run but wouldn't start when you crank it over, so we pulled the covers and made sure the timing was right. Now its trying to fire but it just won't. We have the pump gear on the mark and we have tried moving the pump when it was cranking and it still just pops like it gonna fire. I am at a total loss right now.

Another thing, which line on the injection pump is the supply and which is the return? From the way they had it, it is completly backwards of how my buddies is.
mopartechnician

What year vehicle do you own?: 1984

Postby wrngwae » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:32 am

check your cylinder compression. you are going to neeed a special fitting to get in those glow plug holes. you should be 300+. if not you need a rebuild.ok let see if i can remember,,,,,,,,,,the top line in its the supply,,,,,,,,,i think........
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Return to Genral Questions