4bt cummins swap

Re: 4bt cummins swap

Postby FordTruckMan » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:02 pm

Hey I'm not the only one thinking of a diesel swap around here. As we all know the performance level of diesels is way better and cheaper than gas engines. I can spend the same money on a gas engine and a diesel and the diesel will have 3 times the power gain. I'm thinking about a 4bt swap myself or maybe a perkins diesel as I do believe that is the engine that was once offered in these trucks. And back to the performance, A diesel in one of these truck could easily get 30-40 mpg no problem.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Uploaded with ImageShack.us/img]Money Cant buy you happiness, but it sure as hell can buy you plenty of things to make you happy.
FordTruckMan

Engine Size: 2.4
What year vehicle do you own?: 1992

Postby Spicoli » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:05 pm

Its a pita to find a 4bt anymore. There outlawed almost completlyby the EPA hence why the 6bt went bye bye.

My monte that's blown up I tried finding a 4bt for it called it quits after a while to expensive/heavy. I have a 4d55 laying around still but I don't think that's hardly gonna move my 4 door monte........... I have wet dreams of getting a 4m41 for it maybe the new kind of 4d56 they make that's dohc and comes in the new model tritons. But there just dreams......................................
--keRby

LethalEthan wrote: I wish I had 10 exhaust pipes, I bet that shit flows like LL Cool J

Ad Inexplorata
Spicoli
VIP
VIP

Postby joey_crandall » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:48 pm

there called dreams for a reason... everyone needs a little extra dissapointment every once in a while.
always gift wrap your package.
joey_crandall

Engine Size: SQ
What year vehicle do you own?: 1986

Postby moparducati » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:48 pm

speakin of swaps, I'm sure this has been covered before but, is the 4d56 a direct bolt in? if so, will 4d55 flywheel/pressure plate/clutch work? I'm thinking the clutch will be kinda weak but I think mikewarme has mentioned using a centerforce.
If not a direct swap, whats it take? I see several 4d56's in canada, I might just make a trip if its worth it...
moparducati
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 4d55
What year vehicle do you own?: 1984

Postby wrngwae » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:32 am

4d55/4d56 same block......yes direct swap.
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby ace of shades » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:53 pm

I don't what to dig up an old post, but I actually know about this swap and figure I would chime in. When my 2.6 took a shit on me I did a lot of long hard thinking on the 4bt swap... For about a week. The 4bt (around here) is next to impossible to find, and when you do you have to ship it - but the OP had a 4bt so that's out of the way. Then you need a trany, the NV45 is what I was looking at. Mine is a 4x4 so I would need the transfercase, that makes the trany and transfer as long as a 2.6 and trany. The 4BT may be a inline 4, but its still freaking huge. On my research I found that the 4BT is 750 wet LBS. To put that into perspective a chevy 454 weighs 690 LBS and I highly doubt that the front end of a D-50 will hold that up, I can take weight off the engine stand by "lifting" a dressed 2.6, I can squish an engine stand with a dressed big block. Then you have the problem of it actually fitting. Without hacking the holy living shit out of everything *front clip, firewall and hood* and making it fit would be a mountain of a project in itself. If you have made it this far and the motor is in the truck you now have to think about a radiator, and of course an intercooler because God knows you have turbo a diesel that has the ability to be turbo'd. Those are just the problems I can remember off the top of my head. And that is why I have spend about $900 rebuilding my 2.6, and that's with all new parts and a new head. I got a rebuild kit from northern autoparts for $550 and a new head from Ebay (odessa cylinder head) for $300.. then other various parts that nature ate for leaving the hood off for 2 years. I honestly don't think you can buy the tranny adapter plate for that much

mopartechnician wrote:..... I know I'm gonna have atleast $1000 just in parts for the mitsu motor. I can get the cummins for cheap, tranny for cheap and since I do diesel performance I can get whatever I need for it for cheap. ......
Cut, Weld, Drive http://www.Volksrods.com
ace of shades

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1984

Postby 4D55 Performance Inc » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:35 pm

I agree, people who think a 4BT is an option when it comes to an engine swap are talking out there butts. It's too long, too tall and too heavy. You would have to cut out the radiator support with a sawsall and shoehorn it in somehow. I have seen people squeeze a 4BT into a Ford Ranger but the engine bay in a first gen Ranger is 6" taller and 4-5" longer. Even with the extra room, the Ranger guys still have to add a 3" body lift, hack up the firewall and the tunnel. I saw on another board today that a guy was asking if he could swap a 7.3 Powerstroke into his 87 Ranger. I will provide the same advise I gave to the guy who wants to swap Powerstroke into his Ranger. THE ONLY WAY YOU'RE GOING TO FIT A 4BT INTO A MITSUBISHI IS IF YOU STICK IT IN THE BED.
4D55 Performance Inc

Engine Size: 4D55
What year vehicle do you own?: 1985

Postby sassafrass » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:17 am

second the vote for mid engine, if going this route. would spread the weight over 4 wheels and your front end would last. of course, what would you do with such a vehicle.

if you can't afford a rebuild, go the yard or shop on craigs for an engine or a more easily fixable one. i just got a decent body, 5 great tires (90%) on nice rims, perfect bed (under canopy). yea i had to tow it home, but i got it running with a change of sparkplugs...

tom
sassafrass

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Previous

Return to Genral Questions