Diesel Options

Diesel Options

Postby Johnboy72 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:47 am

Ok, not trying to start an argument thread with Warme or any of the loyal diesel guys. But I'm sitting here in Iraq with entirely too much time to think. I'm window shopping for a Powerstroke as I'm PCS'ing to Fort Drum, NY. Need a good truck to haul and use as a plow truck. So I've been reading a lot of Diesel World magazines and such. Never been a big motorhead but the more I read about diesel engines, the more I'm starting to like the idea of putting a diesel engine in my 88 Macrocab. The 4D55 and 4D56 doesn't look like a big powerhouse motor. Can you push 200hp out of one of those things? What's a good little diesel engine out there? AND NO, I'm not reselling this truck. But the idea of a diesel bodydropped Macrocab pulling a 4g63 Standard cab to shows just sounds cool. So let's hear your thoughts.
Johnboy72
VIP
VIP

Re: Diesel Options

Postby mikewarme » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:43 pm

Find a 4d56 with Direct injection. 230 HP.

A 4M40 is another option.

I have a 08 power stroke and im looking to trade it for a 2011. The 6.0 is a POS. Wish they still made the 7.3 :naughty:
mikewarme

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Postby Johnboy72 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:36 pm

Thanks Warme. Sorry your having issues with the 6.0. Thought any model after 06 had the bugs pretty much worked out.
Johnboy72
VIP
VIP

Postby wrngwae » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:28 am

hahaha i love my 7.3 but the body is giving me grief right now. johnboy. there are several different little diesels you could use or even way too big of ones. but if your just looking for an easy swap,,,,,stay with the 4d55/56 platform. it is a direct fit on a wideblock trans. which just makes life alot easier. besides while your there. they hqave got to have a comonrail 4d56 in one of those civilian vehicles,,,,,,,,,,just stuff it in your bag b4 you come home lol.
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby Johnboy72 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:50 am

Yeah, I just wish I could get my hands on some of the local L200s. I about cry everytime I see a crewcab older model. The new ones they have are ugly but interesting. Just can't happen. Sucks. However, I did pick up some SPAL fans for an MRAP, brand new air tank that was heading for the trash, and possibly picking up some LED headlights.
Johnboy72
VIP
VIP

Postby FordTruckMan » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:10 am

As a powerstroke enthusiast, hell I like anything diesel just about but my heart lays with ford, I can tell you that the 6.0s can actually be reliable engines. Sure the 7.3 was a hell of an engine and the new 6.4 can easily handle 800 horsepower with out upgrading a damn thing, even the transmission can survive but the 6.0s arent that bad. First off, they are reliable until you add any sort of power to them, they seem to like to blow head gaskets with any power increase. So if you plan on adding power you better be going with some ARP headstuds along with it. Also I recomment upgrading to a better aftermarket egr valve, those go out to. With those simple fixes you got a hell of an engine. Now to see how this 6.7 holds up. Its suppose to be better than the 6.4( I will wait and see if thats true) and get better MPG( something the 6.4 isnt good at) only time will tell.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Uploaded with ImageShack.us/img]Money Cant buy you happiness, but it sure as hell can buy you plenty of things to make you happy.
FordTruckMan

Engine Size: 2.4
What year vehicle do you own?: 1992

Postby mikewarme » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:30 am

FordTruckMan wrote:As a powerstroke enthusiast, hell I like anything diesel just about but my heart lays with ford, I can tell you that the 6.0s can actually be reliable engines. Sure the 7.3 was a hell of an engine and the new 6.4 can easily handle 800 horsepower with out upgrading a damn thing, even the transmission can survive but the 6.0s arent that bad. First off, they are reliable until you add any sort of power to them, they seem to like to blow head gaskets with any power increase. So if you plan on adding power you better be going with some ARP headstuds along with it. Also I recomment upgrading to a better aftermarket egr valve, those go out to. With those simple fixes you got a hell of an engine. Now to see how this 6.7 holds up. Its suppose to be better than the 6.4( I will wait and see if thats true) and get better MPG( something the 6.4 isnt good at) only time will tell.

Now i feel dumb cause my ford is a 6.4. Keep mixing them up. My dad has an 05 I had an 07 now I have an 08. The fuel milEage sucks!! so I DRIVE THE TURBO DIESEL MIGHTY MAX MOST OF THE TIME!
mikewarme

What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Postby muzak » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:08 pm

mikewarme wrote:Find a 4d56 with Direct injection. 230 HP.

A 4M40 is another option.

I have a 08 power stroke and im looking to trade it for a 2011. The 6.0 is a POS. Wish they still made the 7.3 :naughty:

Aren't some of the Pajeros DI from the mid-90s? That's a pretty common vehicle in the Baltics, probably Iraq too. They now have an even bigger turbo with that engine the TD04-15T. Add a Garret or = intercooler and you could push some decent power.
muzak
VIP
VIP

Return to Genral Questions