new body for old running gear

new body for old running gear

Postby sassafrass » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:16 pm

hello,

since my jetta TDI was totaled (engine still good), i have been searching for a replacement vehicle. i was thinking a small truck would be great.

i like the mitsu format and it seems to have a good rep. plus i am close to canada and can get the 4d56t from a JDM vehicle if i wanted too. that might be neat if one got all the common rail stuff with it.

now, one of many options i have is to get my neighbors parked d50 (93 i think). it is a short bed reg cab, 5 speed and 4x4. but it is rusted through on the rockers/floors and doesn't have title. this has been parked for 7 years i think. this would be very cheap, but most likely would need to be gone through a lot.

now, i have located a 89 mighty max extra cab short bed, gas (blown engine), auto 2x2. that is pristine. i think it was stored inside non functional for 10 years or so. this is also pretty cheap. that got me thinking of putting the running gear of the diesel into the gas body.

does anyone know of the main trouble spots with doing something like this? i might not be able to swap over the 4x4 stuff, but i haven't looked closely at it, and i am ok with a 2x4 rig with a transfer case to nowhere...

thanks,
tom
sassafrass

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Re: new body for old running gear

Postby camoit » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:07 pm

Do a cab swap. Keep the 4X4. Do all the mods you can while the body is off. Snow = 4X4 = :) The build thread is looking for a good body swap story. I have the Baja mod coverd. Pick up a Jeep or truck running gear and put the body on it. That would be BITCHEN. We don't have a good 4x4 build yet. If you have a Mig welder, grinder, port-a band the sky is the limit. Of course you would need to hit up the Higy Patrol to do a vin asinment, DMV OR you can just run the thing as a D-50 untell some one gives you a ticket. But I don't think it would happen. Mersure out the wheel base then find running gear. Build a major rock crawler. Thats my 2 cents.
Here is my BUILD THREAD.
Live Class 6 off road race truck build. CLICK HERE FOR FEED.

http://www.onsiteconcrete.net
camoit
Admin
Admin

Engine Size: 2.6L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1980

Re: new body for old running gear

Postby sassafrass » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:48 am

no doubt the diesel would be a good platform for an offroad machine/crawler, etc.

however, my intent was a freeway/delivery type truck that i would use in my business. of course if i could find one, i could just buy a stock one, but that seems difficult (been looking for two months so far), and it seems these bodies like to rust. my guess is the diesel drive train could outlast a few of these gas bodies.

i guess i could look at a totally newer type cab from a ranger/toyo or something and put that on, but it seemed like with the find of the pristine mitsu body i would be ahead going that route. probably $500 to aquire both of these trucks.

tom
sassafrass

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Return to Genral Questions