Storing a diesel motor

Storing a diesel motor

Postby rednec_d » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:23 pm

Ok what do i need to do when storing a my diesel d-50? Blow the lines out? Drain tank? I plan on it sitting over the winter as i put a couple trucks together. Taking better interior and new fenders, etc. etc. Anyone? Mike? I am just afraid of the same problem i had with the conversion motor sitting for so long.
I'm not the smartest crayon in the fridge, but I have internet.
rednec_d
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1984

Re: Storing a diesel motor

Postby wrngwae » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:32 am

i dont think i would run her out of fuel eric. it is a pain to try and prime these pumps. maybe some diesel 911 or good old fashioned stabil.....damn never even thought of this before. you plan on starting it at all during the winter? you have a little battery tender?
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby sassafrass » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:51 pm

at the extreme end of things...i just pulled an old d50 diesel out of the woods. 13 years sitting. lucky the tank was 3/4 full, no issues with that. i removed the glow plugs and squirted some oil down there and turned it over by hand a few times. got the starter put on (turns out this was why it was parked, broken pinon gear), and new bolts between the tranny and engine (for some reason they were missing).

going good now.

as an aside...i use an old electric fuel pump to prime the main pump.

i am also a boater and we lay up diesels all the time for winter. here is a good link. most of the issues are fuel related, but note the recommendation to change oil at time of layup because of acids in the oil.

http://www.practical-sailor.com/marine/ ... ation.html

charge the batt once a month. i have had good luck with stabil.

tom
sassafrass

What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Postby rednec_d » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:55 pm

Well i am going to put a new crankshaft seal in it and some other things. But more realistically all winter so 3-4 months. Stabil came to my mind as well as diesel additive but the oil thing i did not know so thanks. I will drain the oil anyhow to change the seal and what not. I was told that diesel sitting for periods of time could mess with the injectors? Truth or idiots?
rednec_d
VIP
VIP

Postby rednec_d » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:54 pm

No i am not going to store it without oil. just gonna drain it to do the motor work and put new in for storage. I also need oil in it to make sure it doesn't leak and also the timing is good. would a fuel additive work for storage then? I use howels additive so that would be ok to add and run into the system correct?
rednec_d
VIP
VIP

Return to Genral Questions