Ford 2.3TD vs dodge 2.3TD

Ford 2.3TD vs dodge 2.3TD

Postby BCDieselD50 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:19 pm

was just wondering if anyone has swapped a motor from the fords into our d50's? iv seen pics and the engine arrangement looks a bit different from out setups, but they are the same motors from what i see. the reason i ask, is that iv got ALOT of oil leaking into my cooling system....... iv talked to some ppl and have found 2 running 2.3 rangers, from what iv been told both motors run great, but the trucks themselfs are in rough condition. so what im hoping to do is get my hands on the better of the 2 and toss it into my dodge. and rebuild the original motor over the winter months.... so aside from it fitting in there and wiring up properly. i dunno if the block will mate up with the dodge tranny ? and if anyone one else can think of other problems i may bump into during this swap? thanks in advance for your help and comments... cheers
-Matt
BCDieselD50

Re: Ford 2.3TD vs dodge 2.3TD

Postby wrngwae » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:05 pm

almost all the acc are different. it runs off a serpentine belt,,,,,,,,,,,,just think about that.........pita...... and an electric vac pump. ours is on the back of the alt. but as far as the internals,,,,,,,,,,same.
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby BCDieselD50 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:01 pm

yea i could see that the acc's are all arranged differently, found some pics last night. didnt notice the serp belt..... had nothing but nightmears with those man... that sucks, what im thinking is that i could maybe swap the acc from the dodge motor to the ford block. do ya think that the block would have the matching mounting holes ? then again that may be a screw around . was out at the pick and pull today and theres a d50 diesel there but im reluctant to buy a junk yard motor. i skimmed over it and it seemed to be ok. valve cover seemed leaky... easy fix and the turbo looks shot but i just rebuilt mine so sall good i just dont wanna buy a 200$ brick... 250*** kms on it
BCDieselD50

Postby moparducati » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:17 pm

Thought I'd revive this post instead of starting a new one.
Just bought me a 4d55 ford ranger. I was kinda looking for a replacement/backup engine for my mighty max, but I might just run this for a while and see how she acts. I don't know if my MM engine is "tired" or if this ranger is hot rodded, but this thing hauls ass! plus the clutch feels way more solid in this, even though I put a brand new clutch on my MM. anybody got any experience with these?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
moparducati
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 4d55
What year vehicle do you own?: 1984

Postby mikewarme » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:12 pm

Centerforce clutch makes a big diffrence on take off. I bet your motor is tired.
mikewarme

What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Postby mikewarme » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:13 pm

Same engine other than pulleys and shit. Same injectors. Same turbo for the most part. And same pump other than they added water cooling to the ranger pump.
mikewarme

Postby 4D55 Performance Inc » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:43 pm

Because of the way the accessorys sit on the Ford, the complete motor is about 4-5" taller. So swapping a Ford 4D55 into a Mitsubishi is a major PITA.
4D55 Performance Inc

Engine Size: 4D55
What year vehicle do you own?: 1985

Postby moparducati » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:08 pm

Found another difference in these two engines today when I changed the oil. The filter weighs a lot more and costs $30 plus the ford 4d55 holds 9 QUARTS of oil! I bought 2 gallons of rotella thinkin I would have some to spare. Had to buy another...
Not sure why the hell the filter costs so much and is so heavy but all that oil should help longevity I would think.
moparducati
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 4d55
What year vehicle do you own?: 1984

Postby greasyglass » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:08 pm

i just got a couple of these ford ranger diesels too and i think that the serp belt setup is weird but cool....sort of
greasyglass

Return to Genral Questions