diesel noise

diesel noise

Postby DavetheDude » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:22 pm

Well, on my way home from work tonight I think I blew my engine. I have a 4d55 in an 89 Dodge 4X4 and it sounds like a bearing noise on the crank on one cylinder. It still starts good, but shakes and thumps. I am sure it's only one cylinder and sounds like it is all the way back. Any ideas? This engine was rebuilt about 5k miles before I bought it (Chinese parts?) and I have put about 10k on it. It has always ran great. I probably will not put any serious money in it, so if it is not a pretty cheap fix I will sell it as is. I also have a lot of extra parts for this engine. Any comments are welcome, whether it is about fixing it our selling it. Let me know where you would start. Thanks
DavetheDude
VIP
VIP

Re: diesel noise

Postby DavetheDude » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:31 pm

I have put so much time, effort and money into this project that I don't think I want anything to do with these engines any more. Of course I am discouraged right now, but this thing blows up on me just as the snow is starting to fly.
DavetheDude
VIP
VIP

Postby wrngwae » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:28 am

im feeling you on that too. i have spent an ungodly ammount of $$$$$$$$$ on mine too but,,,,,,,,,,,,,your in to deep now you cant just let her go for pennies,,,,,,ok now. take the oil pan loose,,,,,,,,,,turn it enough to see if it is a bearing on the bottom end. if not pull the head,,,,, and see. than you are out minimal money. im thinking it may be a valve guide chipped ant is stuck in the piston,,,,,,i have had that b4 and it sounded like hell, for just a tiny ass little piece. dave dont get discouraged man im telling you i bet i have had my head off on that damn motor about 10 times,,,,,,,i bet i could almost do it in my sleep. now heads up roll back those sleeves and lets get crackin...........
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby mikewarme » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:43 pm

Chinese parts. Who built the motor Dave? you or the previous owner. They probably lied if it was previous owner. I'd tear it down. Truck will always be worth minimum 3-4k in good running order. So its worth it.
mikewarme

What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Postby DavetheDude » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:45 pm

The previous owner had a mechanic that had done all of the work on that engine since he had it new. I had talked to the mechanic before I bought it and believe that he knew what he was doing. However, after learning what I know now about aftermarket parts for those engines, he may not have known what parts he was getting. Seems you have to do your homework to make sure you know where your parts are coming from even if you are careful. O.k. you guys have talked me into tearing into it. At least to find out what is wrong with it.
DavetheDude
VIP
VIP

Postby DavetheDude » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:28 am

Pulled the engine today and here is what I found. The #4 piston broke or something happened to make it break. I haven't pulled the head off yet, but from what I see the piston is broke and the sleeve has been pushed down about a half inch. Now I need some help. This calls into question every part that was put into it when it was rebuilt. The bottom end looks o.k. but can I trust it? Obviously all the pistons and rings will have to be replaced and at least one sleeve. What are the chances that the head is bad? Anyone got a ball park figure on what kind of $'s I am looking at?
DavetheDude
VIP
VIP

Postby wrngwae » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:38 pm

dave, that is the same shit that happened to me too and the same cyl too,,,,,,,,,,,, your head may be ok but for sure your cyl 4 valves are bad. take the head to a shop and have them put new valves in it and inspect it for cracks and other odds and ends,,,,,,do not allow them to re surface the head unless it is absolutely necessary!!!!!!!!!!! as far as the sleeve it is only like $10 plus machining it is not a lipped sleeve just a strait one. so your not so bad off after all. but if you need a head let me know.
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby DavetheDude » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:53 pm

Where can I buy pistons that I can depend on? Would you change the bearings in the bottom end?
DavetheDude
VIP
VIP

Postby wrngwae » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:45 am

i used jdm pistons off ebay, mike warme says you can still get oem. if you can find them i would use them first, than aftermarket. us made parts first!!!!! lol. and yes i agree on the bearings too if you have to pull the con rods its good insurance.
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikewarme » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:19 pm

Dave callMe 8182683012. I will get you the info on where to get the ITM brand pistons. I have a set in stock if yours are standard size. Mitsubishi has them in standard as well. I can get one size only of the oversize ones from Mitsubishi too. Let me know the bore size please. As far as what happened, your valves were tapping on the edge of the depression in the piston ever so slightly. Chinese don't know how to line things up. So it fatgiued the pistons. You will notice that the motor will sound nicer with the right piston. Valves will be tough to find. Let me know
mikewarme

What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Next

Return to Genral Questions