caddy rims lug nut question

Forum rules
Please look carefully at all the Sub Categories and place your question in the most appropriate Sub Category for faster replies. Thank you and enjoy your time here.

caddy rims lug nut question

Postby payrion » Thu May 20, 2010 8:16 pm

what lugs are we using on caddy rims? are they stock? i have rims to put on tomorrow and was woundering if they are different?
payrion

Re: caddy rims lug nut question

Postby wrngwae » Fri May 21, 2010 3:27 am

thats a good question. i got a set of rims off a trooper and used those lugs too. i guess try your stockers and see how they fit as far as the taper of the nut to the rim. that is very very important.
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby pennyman1 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:48 pm

Use what they call a bulged lugnut - the holes are for 14 mm lugs in the wheels and the bulge will make up for the difference from 12 to 14 mm
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Postby camoit » Fri May 21, 2010 7:47 pm

I’m not familiar with “caddy” rims. But what you need to look at is how rims are piloted. All rims are piloted by at least one of two things. Ether by the hub or the lug nut shoulders. Aluminum rims are normally thick and use a lug nut that has a long shoulder and no taper. Thus it’s pilot is the lug nut. Now the wheel hub normally pilots stock steel rims.

(Technical definition and understanding.)
First you should under stand why lug nuts have a taper. The reason is simple. –Shear-. Lets take a lug stud for example. Lets make it a small one. (¼ inch for example). Lets say it has a shear of 65 pounds, but has a tinsel strength or pull strength of 300 pounds. If a rim tries to spin on a stud with a tapered lug nut. Lets say 160 pounds of force. The rim pushes against the taper of the nut. The nut in turn, takes that force and turns it 90 degree, and works against the tinsel strength of the stud. And not against the shear of the stud. Keep in mind this stud will snap if the shier is over 65 pounds or the pull is over 300 pounds. So if the force is 160 pounds it is well with in the limits of the stud.
Here is my BUILD THREAD.
Live Class 6 off road race truck build. CLICK HERE FOR FEED.

http://www.onsiteconcrete.net
camoit
Admin
Admin

Engine Size: 2.6L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1980

Return to Wheel & Tire