ignition wiring

Forum rules
Please look carefully at all the Sub Categories and place your question in the most appropriate Sub Category for faster replies. Thank you and enjoy your time here.

ignition wiring

Postby the5ifty » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:41 am

i lost the keys to my truck about a month ago and it has been sitting in the parking lot all that time...and she doesnt even work there anymore. so i need to find a way to drive it again. i was thinking wiring a a switch for the ignition and a button for the starter...would that work and if so what wires are what. or any way to get another key fro the dealer or something...i have a 93 ram 50 2.4
the5ifty

Engine Size: 2.4
What year vehicle do you own?: 1994

Re: ignition wiring

Postby Toccoajustin » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:36 am

Pull one of the door lock cylinders out and take it to a locksmith. They should be able to "key" the cylinder fairly easily and shouldn't charge too much since you're bringing the lock to them.
Toccoajustin

Engine Size: 2.0L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1985

Postby the5ifty » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:42 am

i will make a few calls...dealership was a no go and lock cylinder is loke $70...that cost effectivly totals the truck hah
the5ifty

Postby camoit » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:37 pm

Cordless drill to get out the lock cyl. Use a screw driver to turn the switch. Or A jumper wire from the pos. side of the battery. To the pos side of the coil. Jump the starter with a screw driver.
Here is my BUILD THREAD.
Live Class 6 off road race truck build. CLICK HERE FOR FEED.

http://www.onsiteconcrete.net
camoit
Admin
Admin

Engine Size: 2.6L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1980

Postby the5ifty » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:33 am

locksmith was no go, door has 2 less tumblers than ignition switch and the dealership didnt have the code....so i just drill out the keyhole and shove a screw driver in there?
the5ifty

Postby MightyG54BTMax » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:11 pm

MaxD50 wrote:
the5ifty wrote:locksmith was no go, door has 2 less tumblers than ignition switch and the dealership didnt have the code....so i just drill out the keyhole and shove a screw driver in there?

Any locksmith that knows what they are doing can cut a key off the passenger side door lock. I know what I'm talking about, I've only done this around 50 times.

I've heard the exact opposite Mike. I had to use my drivers side on my old Yota pickup cause it was less guess work to add the other stuff for the ignition switch
MightyG54BTMax
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1988

Return to Audio & Electronics