Accessory wont switch on.

Forum rules
Please look carefully at all the Sub Categories and place your question in the most appropriate Sub Category for faster replies. Thank you and enjoy your time here.

Accessory wont switch on.

Postby istunt » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:45 pm

Couldn't figure out how to word it properly, but when i turn the ignition to "accessory" my 12v outlet nor radio have any power. I've check all the fuses and referred to the "Haynes" Manual and no luck at all. Was wondering if any body had a suggestion as to what my problem might be. The truck is a 88 MM 2.6L. Thanks
istunt

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1988

Re: Accessory wont switch on.

Postby DroppedMitsu » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:45 pm

Ignition switch might be going out
-Josh-
1987 Mighty Max with 4g63 Turbo swap
1989 Macrocab Mighty Max
DroppedMitsu
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 4g63
What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby istunt » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:41 pm

DroppedMitsu wrote:Ignition switch might be going out

Even if my dash idiot lights still come on when its put to "accessory?"
istunt

Postby natureboy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:37 pm

Is yours a manual or automatic? Most auto tranny vehicles have a rod inside the steering column that attaches to a switch close to the floor that controls the ignition and accessories. I've never seen a Max/D50 automatic so I can't say for sure if that's the case with our trucks. If yours is a manual, and the fuses seem to be fine, I'd follow the wires under the dash with a simple voltage test light including ground wires.

Is this a new problem that just now started? How long have you had the truck? Has the wiring been altered by you or anyone else? Recently install a stereo or CB?
87 Ram 50 long bed, 2.6l rebuilt, 5 spd, 4x4
natureboy
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.6l

Postby istunt » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:29 pm

natureboy wrote:Is yours a manual or automatic? Most auto tranny vehicles have a rod inside the steering column that attaches to a switch close to the floor that controls the ignition and accessories. I've never seen a Max/D50 automatic so I can't say for sure if that's the case with our trucks. If yours is a manual, and the fuses seem to be fine, I'd follow the wires under the dash with a simple voltage test light including ground wires.

Is this a new problem that just now started? How long have you had the truck? Has the wiring been altered by you or anyone else? Recently install a stereo or CB?

Its a manual with 136K, i got it about 3 weeks ago with no radio at all. But it looks like the last owner had a aftermarket stereo with subs and amp. Its been a problem since i got the truck, i had to wire my own 12v outlet since it didnt work and couldnt find a solution. Ill check the wires under the dash after work tomorrow. Thanks for the help.
istunt

Postby natureboy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:02 pm

It's a good bet the wiring's fubar'd somewhere. The good news is the wiring is very simple and straight forward in these trucks. Holler if you get stumped.
87 Ram 50 long bed, 2.6l rebuilt, 5 spd, 4x4
natureboy
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.6l

Return to Audio & Electronics