The score bord and How not to kill a Skunk.

The score bord and How not to kill a Skunk.

Postby camoit » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:02 am

I just about had a problem killing a skunk to night. I captured a skunk in my trap. Started filling up the trash can with water. Left the hose in it and went to grab the trap. I put my wood box over the trap. Took it, the trap and the shunk to the trash can that was now just about 3/4 full. Was in the process of dropping the skunk and trap into the can, that was now just over 3/4 full of water. The hose came out while putting him in the water. Now rember it was dark and I only had a flash light. I freeked out dropped the trap and the box into the trash can, but was able to hold on to the flash light. The trap goes down door side up. Out comes the skunk. Now he is just in the wood box that is floating in the can. It didn't take him long to start to come out through the hand hole. I flip the box a couple of times in an attempt to sink him. This went of for what seemed like 30 secconds. Thinking fast I pull the box out out of the trash can and slam the lid closed, and put the box on the top. OK now he is just swimming around in there and pissed off like no bodys business. Holey Crap! How am I going to fix this mess. Head back to the house to find somthing, anything. I have know idea what the hell i'm looking for. A thousand things ran through my head. First was a gun, bad idea in the city out in middle of the street. Next thought was some chicken wire. But I don't have chickens or any of there lousey wire. Dam it !!! What else can I use.... Ah ha I got it. A peace of 6 inch PVC with a plate steel on the top. Oh and I'll grab my diesel truck 5Th wheel release hook. I can use it to wack him if he trys to come out of the can when I pop the top. The PVC can be used only if I can get him into it. If I can get him into the pipe I can sink him under the water. Back to the can I go. I lift the lid and sure as shit here he comes. Oh shit! Give him a push with the wacker and close the lid. Dam it! Now I take my time to open the lid, nice and slow. Ok hes just crusing around. Now that the lid is open I can work on the next step. Removing the trap from under him. Keep in mind it's dark and I must hold the flash light. I use the hook to remove the trap nice and slow. Cool it's out. Time for the pipe. Oh look, I can use the trap to sink his stinky little ass. Now he's as good as dead. I flip the door open and hold it door side down. The way it was to go in the first time. Now he tries to grab the trap and clime out on top of it, but a quick twist and shake and he is in side of it and headed to the bottom. Time to add another skunk to the score board.
Kills-=--------- Me --------- The Dogs
Skunk ---------7----------------4
opossum-------1----------------1
Squirls---------0----------------2
Rats------------0----------------7
birds-----------0----------------2
Cats-----------0-----------------2

opossum from the other day. They are easy to catch. Just put on some welding gloves chase them down grab them behind the head and on there back. Just toss them in the dumpster cross the street. Off they go to the dump alive. It's my catch and release program. It pisses the wife off when I do that.

Here is my BUILD THREAD.
Live Class 6 off road race truck build. CLICK HERE FOR FEED.

http://www.onsiteconcrete.net
camoit
Admin
Admin

Engine Size: 2.6L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1980

Re: The score bord and How not to kill a Skunk.

Postby pennyman1 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:04 pm

In the last 4 weeks I have caught 5 skunks and 2 opossums - really its the wildlife control person. He hauls them away and brings another trap. Hope I got them all - don't want them living under my sunroom!!!
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Postby camoit » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:24 pm

Now I can add 2 more shunks to the board.

Skunks ---------13 now
Here is my BUILD THREAD.

camoit
Admin
Admin

Postby wrngwae » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:35 am

hey man,,,,,im a hunter ok......but drowning has to be the worst death do die...i think drowning an animal in a trash can is sick. if you cant handle putting one in the back of the head of the critter. and all the blood than do it a different way please. sorry just my $0.02 man
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby camoit » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:29 am

wrngwae wrote:hey man,,,,,im a hunter ok......but drowning has to be the worst death do die...i think drowning an animal in a trash can is sick. if you cant handle putting one in the back of the head of the critter. and all the blood than do it a different way please. sorry just my $0.02 man

Hay, I here you, I have tried everything. If anybody has a better way PLEASE, PLEASE tell me.
Through my owne experance over the past 3 years here is just some of what I have learned.
Animal Control won't do anything because they say there a pest problem. I have even tried the relesing thing. Thats how I found out how far they can shoot. It's this greenish snot looking stuff. Real nasty. Kind of looks like grease shot from an air powerd grease gun with the needle adapter on it flying towards you, at about 25 F.P.S. There just ant no way of getting out of the line of fire. It's like some one with a machine gun sweeping left to right, and they have plenty to go around. There is just somthing wrong about driving in your underwear then walking up to the front door that way. I can't quite put my finger on it. But after the seccond time and there was no booze or girls involved you start to wonder. "What the hell am I doing".
Only 2 problems with shooting them.
1 I live in the city and people Freek Out big time when they here a gun shot. Then they tell me I'm cruel. O--K----
2 Every time I did shoot one (and that was 6 of them last year) first with the Ruger 1022 then to a quieter 22 cal pellet gun they spray, EVERY WHERE. Then the place stinks for days.
There is just no good way of dealing with them. To catch them in a trap you need to cover the trap with a towel so they will go in. When you lift the trap they give you a little "warning" squirt. (the older ones will) Just enough to get a nice lofting order on your clothing. My wife has come to call it a perfume misting.
The only other alternative is, the gopher gasser, CO2, or the Honda Car tail pipe. And I have tried 3 of them all. There all just as bad as dropping them in water. Except once again you get the stink factor.
I have found that they are fairley easy to catch on the run, with a wood box a flash light and a gopher gasser. As long as there running they can't spray. If they are faceing you and thinking they are going to fight I just toss the box over them. They can't see you with a flash light in the eyes. They don't have reflective eyes. Great hearing and smell but bad night vision.
I know from my own experance drowing ant to bad. It's more disoranting and confusing. It was like I had no idea what was going on, or where I was, what way was up, how did I get there. Then some one lifted me out of the water, and instantly it was over, and I mean instantly. Bam, like turnning on a light. It was the strangest and "only" near death experance I ever had. Only lasted about 10 secconds but that was enough. Thats how I finaly came up with the trash can. It's instant, surprising, and only takes 28 secconds and it's over. I have timed it. It's not perfect but killing never is. It's just the best soulition I have come up with so far. Please let me know if you have better way. I'm totaly open to any idea.
Hell if you want, I will send them UPS to you, if you think it's a better idea. I'll try anything. I just saw another 6 more last night at the park.
It's only a matter of time tell they wind up in the back yard, tangling with my dogs, then the dogs run in the house and rub up and down the carpet to get the stink off there face, the house stinks for 5 weeks after that, along with the dogs. The dogs get wet then they smell again. Round and round we go. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhh I can't take it any more. Thats why I have my therapy truck. Someone please
Here is my BUILD THREAD.

camoit
Admin
Admin

Postby camoit » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:54 pm

MaxD50 wrote:There use to be a bounty on skunk fur, may wanna check in to it.

If there was I wouldn't be working any more. Come on out, and get your stink on....
Here is my BUILD THREAD.

camoit
Admin
Admin

Postby camoit » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:36 pm

as of todays take. the offical board the wife is keeping the total stands at 15
Here is my BUILD THREAD.

camoit
Admin
Admin

Postby MightyG54BTMax » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:20 am

camoit, they sell a needle on a long pvc pole to inject the skunk with while still in the trap. I think I remember reading people using paint thinner or the like as the chemical to dispatch them. Supposedly, they don't spray.
MightyG54BTMax
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1988

Postby camoit » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:39 pm

I hope it's a long fricking pole. Even when they spray the towel i have over the cage the stink gets in your clothing. But hay i don't smell it any more. And I have had some bad ones..I only smell it for about 3 minutes then you get usta it. It is kind of funny seeing how the wife reacts to me when I shink.
Here is my BUILD THREAD.

camoit
Admin
Admin

Postby camoit » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:12 pm

9-23-10 Took down another one. Finley starting to see less of them but I know there out there. This makes the total count 16 Got this one in the front yard. Must have been a 10 pounder. Not bad since starting in april. Spring is comming quick.
Here is my BUILD THREAD.

camoit
Admin
Admin

Next

Return to Off Topic