Why does everyone I talk to have a boner for drum brakes!

Re: Why does everyone I talk to have a boner for drum brakes

Postby TotallyBalistic » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:06 pm

there's a big difference in the full disk brake "big trucks" camoit...you cut alot of stopping distance but it seemed like they got real hot real fast but at the same time they cool off quick...makes me feel like there might be some cracking going on if youre not careful
Chuck Norris doesnt read books, he stares them down until he gets the information he wants.
TotallyBalistic
Good Times
Good Times

Engine Size: 2.0
What year vehicle do you own?: 1988

Postby camoit » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:12 am

Well some day my concrete fleet will be disc. When I get lots of money. Hell the front on my truck is Rockwell wedge brake.
Here is my BUILD THREAD.
Live Class 6 off road race truck build. CLICK HERE FOR FEED.

http://www.onsiteconcrete.net
camoit
Admin
Admin

Engine Size: 2.6L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1980

Postby Maxxheadroom » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:11 pm

camoit wrote:The only advantages to Disk brake is less brake fade , because they can disapate heat faster, Less chance of water fade when splashing down the road. Thats the main advantages. They have just now started to put disc brakes on diesel trucks. But there air brakes. Havent driven one with disc yet to see how much faster she can stop.

That is to a certain degree, once you do get your drums to fade they are gonna take a long time to cool down, that is a massive chunk of iron to get back down from temp, with the center cooling and exposed sides of disks they will heat up quicker but they cool quicker as well, and its a give and take while they do heat up quicker they are more efficiently converting your forward momentum energy into heat energy. All in all they are a much more efficient braking system. Not to mention considerably less of a hassle to work on.
Maxxheadroom

Postby daytonatrbo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:22 pm

all i know is if drum brakes were good, F1 cars would be using them.

Now, some companies FAIL at 4wdisc. Chevy/gmc light trucks went to disc rear a few years back and they sucked so bad they put drums back in. I think the latest gen trucks finally got it right.
daytonatrbo

Engine Size: 2.0
What year vehicle do you own?: 1986

Previous

Return to Off Topic