Dash

A place to post a build thread for your 1st Gen truck.
(1979-1986)
Forum rules
Please look carefully at all the Sub Categories and place your question in the most appropriate Sub Category for faster replies. Thank you and enjoy your time here.

Dash

Postby mikewarme » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:24 pm

Welp,

Got the first item in my Diesel restore going. Dropped off my dash to JustDashes, where it will go through a complete re-vitalization. New urethane foam and new vinyl will be vacuumed over it. At $600, its gonna be better than NOS. I will post pics when the work is complete. I had to cut an entire dash frame out of a truck in a pick-a-parts vehicle so, I could give it to them for complete test fitting, glove box defroster garnish and all. (No I could not put the dash in my pocket at Pick a part). So if anybody is intersted in doing this in the future, I have the frame ready to go for the restorers use. Many of you might find this insane to spend 600.00 on a dash, however I will not degrade myself or my truck with bondo and paint on my truck. This will be new new so it wont crack again.
mikewarme

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Re: Dash

Postby 79D50 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:57 am

I am going to be intersested in this down the road Mike. Where is your guy located? $600 is actually fair considering the cost of a custom dash. I have researched this with many shops here in Seattle and it costs a pretty penny to fab something so 6 bills is cheap considering. My only question is fitment. How precise is the final product because shipping back and forth for fine adjustments is not in the cards.
79D50
Donator
Donator

Postby mikewarme » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:49 pm

Read the post carefully. I have a dash frame to assist people. You would need your old dash provided it isnt split in half. They are in Van Nuys CA. People would send me the dash with a 1/2 deposit and I would put it in the frame and deliver it. They would strip it and rebuild it and test fit it in the frame I got from the junkyard along with test fitting airvents etc. The dash would be left black for $500 or for $100 more they would match the original color and repaint the ashtray and glovebox door so it all looked fresh. It would be nicer fitting than factory. These 1st gen dashes all pulled away from the dash at the left and right corners eventually binding the glovebox lid. If your dash looks like a Hillbillies dash with bondo and Bubblegum, it won't be repairable. Get a semi cracked original dash from a pick n pull than
mikewarme

Postby mikewarme » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:14 pm

Crapy pic but a start before I install it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mikewarme

Postby straightarrow » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:36 pm

Are you pleased with your dash? I spent $1200 for them to redo my lower door panels on my Riviera and they didn't fix the area where the window switch attaches and they didn't replace the carpet. I was ticked and when I tried to get them to fix it they told me "we're the only ones that do that kind of work so if you think you can get it somewhere else better, go for it." Ouch! Guess I expected more for $1200 from a large company. I hope yours worked out though.
straightarrow

Engine Size: 2.0

Postby mikewarme » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:08 pm

I am very pleased with their work. As far as panels, all they do is vinyl and paint and texture plastic. I guess the trick is to be local to them so you can inspect it at payment time
mikewarme

Postby Rose » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:41 am

Mike:
good to hear "These 1st gen dashes all pulled away from the dash at the left and right corners eventually binding the glovebox lid." as my glove compartment does not open smoothly either, and now I won't expect it to (it's still "original" LOL) This sure is a informative forum. Thanks all!
Rose

Engine Size: 2.6l
What year vehicle do you own?: 1980

Return to 1st generation