My 89 Max 2.0

A place to post a build thread for your 2nd Gen truck.
(1987-1996)
Forum rules
Please look carefully at all the Sub Categories and place your question in the most appropriate Sub Category for faster replies. Thank you and enjoy your time here.

My 89 Max 2.0

Postby SCguy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:38 pm

Here is my 89 Mighty Max 2.0, 2wd, AT that I was given. The truck was not running, but plugs, wires, and a battery fixed that. A bit rough, but she only has 59k original miles on her! Not a whole lot of Ram50s or Maxs around my area, except for one custom lowered Mighty Max, which has been changed to a convertible, with a Testarossa style body kit, spoiler, the works.

Pic when I first got her (forgive me, they're phone pics):
Added Hella 500's I had sitting in the closet and some Pacer wheels I got for $40.
Not much, but I have less than $150 in her, so far, shes pretty dependable...
What kind of gas mileage can I expect? She's still running a bit rich, but the first tank got me 20 mpg.

RD
SCguy

Engine Size: 2.0
What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Re: My 89 Max 2.0

Postby TotallyBalistic » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:52 pm

pretty nice find on that ride man...you should be gettin more than 20 mpg. how long did the truck sit without being ran before you got it....that could be the reason behind it running alittle rich and the low mpg's...you might try dumping about half a quart of cheep transmission fluid in the gas tank and filling it up with a high grade gas and run it for a while...might just have some gunk funkin up the carb and needs some help breakin it loose. check all your vac. lines very very closely for leaks and be sure they are all hooked up
Chuck Norris doesnt read books, he stares them down until he gets the information he wants.
TotallyBalistic
Good Times
Good Times

What year vehicle do you own?: 1988

Postby SCguy » Sat May 22, 2010 8:39 pm

Well, figured out the problem. My bowl vent valve diaphragm was ruptured, causing the rich condition. Just put in new idler arm bushings and lined it up. Got the radio and A/C working, the radio was just bad grounds, and the A/C was low on R-12. It'll freeze ya out now! Rides smooth, and I'm getting about 26 mpg. Tough little truck, the only thing it needs is a tailgate still, and to fix the door strikers somehow. Is there a place to get striker bushings, or do I need to replace the whole striker?

Anyways, took the bumper off, stripped it down, and repainted it.

Still have to mount the Hella's back on...

You can also sorta see my newly painted wiper arms..

RD
SCguy

Postby SCguy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:25 pm

Here it is with the bumper painted, lights back on, and wheels polished"
060800_2008[00].jpg

And next to my other ride, 02 Grand Cherokee 4.7l HO V8
060800_2028[00].jpg

RD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SCguy

Postby Ramit » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:23 pm

Where did you get the new bowl vent valve diaphragm? I know you dont get one in a rebuild kit.
If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you it's yours to keep.If it doesn't come back, hunt it down..and kill it
Ramit
Donator
Donator

Postby SCguy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:33 pm

Actually, I found it on Amazon. I found the Tomken part number and googled it until I found this one on Amazon. Mitsu wanted $300 for the diaphragm, I got the same thing for $14 shipped. Unfortunately, I got the last one they had...

RD
SCguy

Postby SCguy » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:34 am

A few more pictures with new tires: (Mastercraft Avenger GT 225/70R14 instead of 195/75R14)

The tires width:

Also have a new stereo, JVC with USB input and installed 2- 4" Street Edge by Memphis speakers.

RD
SCguy

Postby minimotos95 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:53 am

damm, its official...
fogs + MM/D50 = badass looking

clean truck man
91 4g64 2wd reg. cab... to be rally/desert truck... eventually
minimotos95

Engine Size: 2.4l
What year vehicle do you own?: 1991

Postby elijah » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:40 pm

SCguy wrote:Well, figured out the problem. My bowl vent valve diaphragm was ruptured, causing the rich condition. Just put in new idler arm bushings and lined it up. Got the radio and A/C working, the radio was just bad grounds, and the A/C was low on R-12. It'll freeze ya out now! Rides smooth, and I'm getting about 26 mpg. Tough little truck, the only thing it needs is a tailgate still, and to fix the door strikers somehow. Is there a place to get striker bushings, or do I need to replace the whole striker?

Anyways, took the bumper off, stripped it down, and repainted it.

Still have to mount the Hella's back on...

You can also sorta see my newly painted wiper arms..

RD

That's a pretty truck you have there especially that you have it at a low mileage. With just a few more mods, your truck would already shine on the road. By the way, the new tires really match up the truck. The only thing left is to paint the whole body to make it more sleeker. Impressive work man! :clap:
elijah

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1988

Postby iwantabuggy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:10 pm

This is my first post here.

I have an 89 D50 4WD with the 2.0L. It ran really bad when I first got it. Gave the engine a tune up, complete with O2 sensor, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter, and adjusted timing to 10 BTDC. I have not changed the oil yet, but I'll be doing that in the next few days. My mpg was 12 when I first got the truck. Now I am up to 16 mpg. The truck seems to be running pretty good, but I am thinking I should be getting at least in the low 20's mpg.

Any suggestions? I'd really like to keep the truck. I like it alot, but I won't be keeping it if 16 mpg is the best I can get out of it.

Probably should have put this in a new thread. I'll start one for this now. Sorry for trying to hi-jack your thread.
iwantabuggy

Next

Return to 2nd Generation