Jax Turbo Max

A place to post a build thread for your 2nd Gen truck.
(1987-1996)
Forum rules
Please look carefully at all the Sub Categories and place your question in the most appropriate Sub Category for faster replies. Thank you and enjoy your time here.

Jax Turbo Max

Postby crvtec90 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:17 am

1990 mighty max. 87 g54b starion 2.6 liter. stock 12a turbo, caravan non-jet valve head . 88 starion ecu and distributor. 87 knock box. 1g eclipse mass air. stock truck fuel pump. stock truck 2.4 liter 5 spd, flywheel and clutch. 2 1/2 exhaust. stock truck rear diff (3.9 : 1 ratio) starion intercooler and piping cut to fit. 17" 2005 Chevy Silverado aluminum rims and BF Goodrich rubber. 2" drop spindles up front and 3" blocks out back. Drilled and slotted rotors. stock rear drums.

Purists be aware that I did not throw away a perfectly good starquest flatty. I saved it from the crusher and is currently awaiting a v8 swap by its owner.
I love this truck. outpowers any other compact truck I have ever driven. definitely unique and stands out.
100_0372 (Small).jpg
Image Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by crvtec90 on Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:44 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Drive it like u stole it
crvtec90

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1990

Re: Jax Turbo Max

Postby crvtec90 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:36 am

The pics above are from a few years ago. The paint has now seen better days. I ended up cracking the head so the truck sat for a year under a tree while I freshened up the engine. The tree was good for shade but was not kind to the body and paint. Im now driving the truck daily, and its time to clean it up a bit.

My fuel tank nightmare is directly related to my rusting out bed corners. The truck was in landscape use most of its life with a plastic bedliner. Years of dirt and debris got caught underneath the bedliner to promote corrosion that went unseen. Once the bed corners had holes in them, the water continued to run down onto the gas tank, along with dirt and leaves to collect on the side of the tank which rusted the gas tank from the outside in. ImageImage
Last edited by crvtec90 on Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drive it like u stole it
crvtec90

Postby crvtec90 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:41 am

Lots of little pinhole leaks in the tank Image
Last edited by crvtec90 on Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drive it like u stole it
crvtec90

Postby crvtec90 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:58 am

I used some JB weld ( 2 part epoxy) on the tank to seal up the holes, but it is less than desirable. Not a really effectice repair but its all I could afford at the time. After it dried, I poured some gas in the tank and tilted so the fuel would sit on the patch and test it for leaks. The stuff held up on the outside but I could reach my hand inside the tank and scrape away at it with my fingernail. The maker of the goop claims it will seal gas tank leaks though it did not work 100 % 4 me so I dont recommend it. Now I keep the tank very low since the repair is about 1/2 way up the tank. The fuel filler neck was patched in the same way and is holding up well ( as far as I can tell) probably since the fuel only passes over it briefly during fill ups.

Plans for a new bed and filler neck are in motion as I can score one at the u-pull it. I dont believe they will sell the tank though since most are pulled before putting the trucks out. A new tank from mitsu is around $500 which means a fuel cell might be in my future.
Drive it like u stole it
crvtec90

Postby crvtec90 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:02 am

what a freakin mess
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drive it like u stole it
crvtec90

Postby crvtec90 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:06 am

U can see where the bed side is rotting from the inside out and making the paint bubble on the outside. Also, the front rail where the bed meets the cab is bent in the middle
Drive it like u stole it
crvtec90

Postby crvtec90 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:00 am

Got my junk yard bed yesterday. The truck had a topper and a bedliner so the bed floor is sweet. Even the paint on the inside of the bed is shinier than the outside of my truck. I got that custom two-tone job now. Theres a few dents here n there but overall its a good piece. The tailgate was wasted and when I went to unbolt the hinges, one of the bolts snapped off in the hole. Some drillling and an easy out should do the trick. Image Image
Last edited by crvtec90 on Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drive it like u stole it
crvtec90

Postby TurboMax » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:45 pm

Glad to see your truck is coming along.
TurboMax

Engine Size: 2.6T

Postby 4doorciv » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:41 am

Yep. Progress is always good. Keep it up.
-Ryan-
1989 mighty max 4g63 turbo. -down-
1995 Eagle talon tsi awd. -daily-
1992 Honda civic b18c1. -sold-
4doorciv
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 4g63
What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Postby crvtec90 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:45 am

Thanx guys. Progress is good, but slow going. Luckily I had a friend come along and help me with the bed swap. Were gonna swap out and work on my stuff a lil and then his. Gotta stick together. Seems like I spend more time and $ just keeping it going instead of improving the overall look of the truck.

Recent rear wheel cylinders and shoes, turned rear drums. Idler arm, pitman arm, tie-rod ends. I got the new lower ball joints but havent put em in yet cuz I gotta figure out my springs. The front coils are worn out and I have spacers in one side just to level it out a bit. I found brand new moog springs online , might pick em up when $ allows.
Drive it like u stole it
crvtec90

Next

Return to 2nd Generation