Truckdor

A place to post a build thread for your 2nd Gen truck.
(1987-1996)
Forum rules
Please look carefully at all the Sub Categories and place your question in the most appropriate Sub Category for faster replies. Thank you and enjoy your time here.

Truckdor

Postby BOOSTED88D50 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:26 pm

So i go through vehicles super fast. I've had around 15 cars in the past 2 years. I was tired of my last car a 240sx convertible on coilovers and some nice wheels and started browsing craigslist. Found an 88 d50 that was impounded and not picked up for 800. I went and looked at it and with out talking about the price at all the owner said he would take 600. SO i picked it up the next day. It looked like this
Once i got it, i knew had to make it go fast. So i bought a mpi intake manifold for a starion.
It also came with an intercoooler.
Got rid of the bench, starion buckets for $60 at pick n pull.
Then i cut two coils off the stock springs in the front, and put 3 inch blocks in the rear. Got some escalades and painted them purple. And got put on my nrg wheel from my 240.
Then july 23rd came around and this happened.
Bought a starion engine for 250, threw it together and it should be up and running some time this weekend.
Future plans are
Welded or Lsd Diff
Take a spring out of the back.
Tune
DRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIFT!
2.6 Soon to be megasquirted and turbooooooooed.
BOOSTED88D50

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1988

Re: Truckdor

Postby crvtec90 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:22 am

Nice truck dude. Get your cooling system in order and keep an eye on your engine temp. Overheating the starion head makes it crack very easy. Ive been thinking about a temp cutoff switch 4 mine to kill the spark if the engine gets 2 hot. They usually crack right in between the valves where the jet valve is. U might already know, just thought Id share.
Drive it like u stole it
crvtec90

What year vehicle do you own?: 1990

Postby TurboMax » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:45 pm

Sweettt!!! Another 2.6T.

Looks great and keep us updated.

crvtec90 wrote:Nice truck dude. Get your cooling system in order and keep an eye on your engine temp. Overheating the starion head makes it crack very easy. Ive been thinking about a temp cutoff switch 4 mine to kill the spark if the engine gets 2 hot. They usually crack right in between the valves where the jet valve is. U might already know, just thought Id share.

Glad to see you finally made it over to this site. If your having any cooling issues a radiator from a Montero I believe drops right in and is bigger (thicker) then the stock truck radiator. I converted from a clutch to electric fan from a Taurus which flows tons of air and works great for me.
TurboMax

Engine Size: 2.6T

Postby Spicoli » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:06 pm

TurboMax, your right, from what Ive noticed all my 2wd trucks run a narrower radiator, were as my 4x4 run a very wide radiator that will botl right in. And the montero uses same one as the 4x4 trucks, if you get one from a montero w/ AC its 3 core
--keRby

LethalEthan wrote: I wish I had 10 exhaust pipes, I bet that shit flows like LL Cool J

Ad Inexplorata
Spicoli
VIP
VIP

Postby BOOSTED88D50 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:47 pm

Yeah, i've owned 4 starions so i know all about keeping the temps cool. I have an taurus electric fan that ill be installing once i get all the bugs worked out of the truck. The only huge step i have left to get it mobile is converting it to hydraulic clutch because i also used a starion tranny since my stocker would grind in 3rd just driving around...Getting there though
BOOSTED88D50

Postby crvtec90 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:22 am

With my electric cooling fan, there isnt much room 4 a bigger radiator. I did get a new one though, since my old one was a little clogged up and now my temps are much lower.
Drive it like u stole it
crvtec90

Postby TurboMax » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:30 pm

crvtec90 wrote:With my electric cooling fan, there isnt much room 4 a bigger radiator. I did get a new one though, since my old one was a little clogged up and now my temps are much lower.

Yup, my taurus fan setup was tight.

A montero radiator is basically the same size dimensionally as the pickup radiator but a 3 row core. the trucks came with 1 or 2 row core.
TurboMax

Engine Size: 2.6T

Postby BOOSTED88D50 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:14 am

So the trucks been driving for about 2 weeks now. Put about 150 miles on it with no problems. I ordered up a aluminum radiator off summit because all the montero rads bottom inlets were on the drivers side. This pic is from the first night we got it done, iits getting cleaner and cleaner every day.Image

Oh and converting it to a hydraulic setup was supper easy. I'll make a write up for it once im back from vacation :nana:
BOOSTED88D50

Postby crvtec90 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:11 pm

kewl man. I am very interested in the hydro clutch. Also want to know more about the mpi setup. I think my injectors are leaking and I get terrible gas mileage . New injectors arent real cheap and I wonder how much more it would be to go mpi.
Drive it like u stole it
crvtec90

Postby joey_crandall » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:04 pm

did you scavenge that red 87 starion at the stockton boulevard pick n pull? a few months ago.
joey_crandall

Engine Size: SQ
What year vehicle do you own?: 1986

Next

Return to 2nd Generation