Toyota driveshaft flange info needed

A place to post a build thread for your 2nd Gen truck.
(1987-1996)
Forum rules
Please look carefully at all the Sub Categories and place your question in the most appropriate Sub Category for faster replies. Thank you and enjoy your time here.

Toyota driveshaft flange info needed

Postby 77amc » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:19 pm

It's a shame that we lost so much info but, I did the toyota rear swap and have a long bed with 2-piece drive shaft. I remembered seing others that did the same but had a 1-piece and the 'custom shaft' looked really nice.
I had taken my flanges to a shop and he said that he would have to build up one side (can't remember which, yota or mitsu) but didn't remember seing any 'steps' in sizes of the tubes in past threads.
My Yota rear is a 86-87 I think and my max is a 89 long bed, and if ANYBODY can shed some light on what I forgot or need i'd love it. OR pics too..

E
77amc
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Re: Toyota driveshaft flange info needed

Postby 4cylinders » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:12 pm

hey, when I did the mitsu/isuzu, I used an adapter. looks like a donut with 8 holes, with a centering washer.
4cylinders

What year vehicle do you own?: 1985

Postby MightyG54BTMax » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:37 pm

I had mine done at a machine shop. Had the piece of the 3rd member that bolts to the driveshaft drilled for the mitsu driveshaft and the hole in the center is just a touch too big and had to be welded and machined to size. Theres a write up on it online on minitruckin. http://blogs.minitruckinweb.com/6217885 ... index.html

That link is for the entire truck. You just have to click on the 5 lug swap link.
MightyG54BTMax
VIP
VIP

What year vehicle do you own?: 1988

Postby 77amc » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:34 am

Thanks guys, I had a double hernia surgery the 15th and am just now getting back to wrenching.
I'll look into it.
For some reason i didn't get back here and read what you wrote so, just tried it myself. Got two driveshafts and welded them together using a little sleeve that I cut down and inserted inside (so I wouldnt' burn through) and welded it up.
Its' been a while since I took these apart (used a good carrier bearing from a talon, Max's was shot.. Saved big $$)
but seem to have misplaced the U-joints that I need.. Well today is off to a bearing supplier. Some of these goobers around here get all cornfused when you start talking of swapping parts around.

Errol
77amc
VIP
VIP

Postby 77amc » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:48 am

Well, The first time I tried to put it in gear while running I found that my clutch cable is not adjusted right.
SO, I put it in gear, then started it (it's up on stands)..... It was shaking so VIOLENTLY that i had to shut it down.. :doh:

A few days later (thinkin that little gremlins fixed it) I adjusted the cable and tried again :dance: PRAISE GOD! for some reason it was turning with only a slight vibration...?? Through all 5 gears too! I may take it to a shop to have them balance it for me. OR, I'll try the hose-clamps and trial/error.

I don't know what gear that the yota truck rear was but, it's surely NOT a 4.22 like the maxs'. Once I get it on the road I'll be able to tell and I think I'll like it.

I'll try and post a build thread and add as much info as I can with pics too! (i'm figuring that out also now that I found where all my pics were hiding on me)

And if I decide to go with this Quest or Talon rear end for a true independent rear, I'll have to do it all over again.

Errol
77amc
VIP
VIP

Postby Spicoli » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:45 pm

Most likely its a 4.10 thats bout what all the yoters came with. Few of em came with lower sets but not many
--keRby

LethalEthan wrote: I wish I had 10 exhaust pipes, I bet that shit flows like LL Cool J

Ad Inexplorata
Spicoli
VIP
VIP

Postby Wilbur » Fri May 07, 2010 4:26 pm

77amc wrote: I don't know what gear that the yota truck rear was but, it's surely NOT a 4.22 like the maxs'. Once I get it on the road I'll be able to tell and I think I'll like it.

Gear ratio most likely is a 3.44 like 9 out of 10 5lug Toyota rear ends. What kind of gas mileage improvements did the swap bring?
Wilbur

Engine Size: 2.4
What year vehicle do you own?: 1991

Return to 2nd Generation